Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why Kawasaki HP Rating System

http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.co...epower-testing

Questions and answers about Kawasaki Critical Power:

Q: Why did Kawasaki go to Critical Power?

A: Lawn care pros who count on our engines need accurate engine data. Critical Power is based on a tighter horsepower testing and rating method which much of the industry uses. This method better reflects Kawasakiís advanced engineering and manufacturing technologies, and provides a more exact horsepower rating.
Q: Have the engines changed in any way?

A: No Ė Critical Power engines are identical to previous models: same model number, same power output, same shape, size and design. Only the horsepower rating is different.
Q: Why is the horsepower number different from what it was?

A: Different rating methods give different results for the same engine. Our new testing and rating methods result in a new, more accurate horsepower number. The power output itself is unchanged.
Q: Isnít a bigger horsepower number better?

A: Not always. Itís not the number that matters Ė itís the power output. Some rating standards provide bigger, less accurate numbers, and the engine may not be capable of delivering the power thatís advertised.
Q: Why is Kawasaki power testing verified by somebody else?

A: Third-party verification helps ensure precision and consistency in horsepower testing methods and claims. Kawasaki uses a world-recognized, German-based authority, T‹V Rheinland Group, to verify horsepower testing, and results are certified by SAE International, so there is no doubt they are accurate.
Q: Where can I find out more?

A: Complete engine information and specifications are found at kawpower.com/engines. For details regarding SAE test standards, visit standards.sae.org. For details regarding T‹V Rheinland Group verifications, visit www.tuv.com.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

is this a question? they obviously feel they have a more accurate testing procedure now. i'd personally rather buy a 22hp motor that might make 24hp, rather than a 24hp machine that might make 22 hp. far as i know all of the mfg's still use the same motors as before so it really doesn't matter
Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
is this a question? they obviously feel they have a more accurate testing procedure now. i'd personally rather buy a 22hp motor that might make 24hp, rather than a 24hp machine that might make 22 hp. far as i know all of the mfg's still use the same motors as before so it really doesn't matter
No, this is not a question, only explaining "why" Kawasaki changed their rating procedure, and "why" it is by far better.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
No, this is not a question, only explaining "why" Kawasaki changed their rating procedure, and "why" it is by far better.
kawakx125-
what puppy said,

...and it is also honest advertising compared to Kohler (though Kohler does have the true numbers listed at the bottom of their spec data in small print now, if you dig enough to find it) and Briggs ratings, which help them sell lesser actual/true powered engines on larger machines. Believe me, none of the engine manu's are labeling a larger HP engine with smaller raing number labels. They'd be losing out on a chance to sell it at higher cost if they did, since you always pay more for more power.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
kawakx125-
what puppy said,

...and it is also honest advertising compared to Kohler (though Kohler does have the true numbers listed at the bottom of their spec data in small print now, if you dig enough to find it) and Briggs ratings, which help them sell lesser actual/true powered engines on larger machines. Believe me, none of the engine manu's are labeling a larger HP engine with smaller raing number labels. They'd be losing out on a chance to sell it at higher cost if they did, since you always pay more for more power.
That is why I was paid $300 in the settlement of their class action lawsuit. Not that it probably covered what I paid extra to buy the advertised additional hp, but it was something.

I posted information about how you would be paid if providing verification of buying the engines. You would not believe the number of people that stated they would not get involved for the fact they believed the attorneys were the only ones coming out on top. I tried to explain that it was your money to get, and if you did not want to put forth the effort, then it was your loss. I spent about 15 minutes gathering my verification information and filling in their form online, and in return I was sent a check for $300. There are very few jobs I have the privilege of being paid $20 per minute to perform the work.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't buy any engine involved during that time frame (well, I did, but I had already sold or traded them off), so I didn't qualify for any the suit refund, but my dad did. He passed away before he could take advantage of it though. I still have the paperwork I received about it where I was concerned here somewhere
Old 08-20-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had wondered why the Bad Boy Outlaw XP with Kawasaki only indicates 825CC rather than horsepower. I guess I have to go to the Kawasaki web site to get the horsepower figure?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I had wondered why the Bad Boy Outlaw XP with Kawasaki only indicates 825CC rather than horsepower. I guess I have to go to the Kawasaki web site to get the horsepower figure?
It should be 852 cc not 825. Which model do you have, ie; 751, 801, 850 etc? The 751 is the 24.4 hp, the 801 is the 25.5 hp, the 850 is the 27 hp. All are built on the 852 cc block.

http://kawpower.com/engines/fx
Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info Green. I don't have one yet, I've been looking at them. I will find out which and use your info.

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't pay any attention to their site, it is wrong. They show an FX with 852 cc's, and a 36 HP Vangaurd. If you look at the torque specs for the FX engine they say is 852 cc's, they are for the FX921V which is a 999 cc engine.

from BB's site-
"ENGINE
Gross Horsepower Air-Cooled Kawasaki FX
Cylinders 90 Degree V-Twin
Displacement 852 cc
Maximum Torque 54.3 ft. lbs. @ 2,400 RPM"

From Kawasaki's site-

http://kawpower.com/engines/fx/fx921v