Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2.4 gal per hour on Kaw DFI 61" deck using G6

I just checked my fuel usage on my Bobcat Predator Pro 61" deck G6 blades Kawasaki 1000cc DFI with 30 hours. I filled the right tank to the brim and then mowed for 15 minutes full throttle @ 3 1/4" in dry grass that was mowed last Tuesday so it wasn't dense. I refilled at the same spot on the drive way using a 1/2 gal pitcher and put in 1 qt at a time being careful and spilling none. It took 78 oz to fill mower back up so X 4 = 2.4375 gal per hour.

How does this compare to what others are getting? It's about 25% more than I expected it to use.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post
I just checked my fuel usage on my Bobcat Predator Pro 61" deck G6 blades Kawasaki 1000cc DFI with 30 hours. I filled the right tank to the brim and then mowed for 15 minutes full throttle @ 3 1/4" in dry grass that was mowed last Tuesday so it wasn't dense. I refilled at the same spot on the drive way using a 1/2 gal pitcher and put in 1 qt at a time being careful and spilling none. It took 78 oz to fill mower back up so X 4 = 2.4375 gal per hour.

How does this compare to what others are getting? It's about 25% more than I expected it to use.
My gosh, have you got a hole in a tank, your engine is fuel injected and is burning much more gas than the same exact engine (mine, FX1000V), which is the carburetor model.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First, that's not a very accurate way to check fuel consumption.

Second, the epa buttheads have made it mandatory to have a huge air space in the tank above the filler neck, so while you may have thought you had it full the first time, driving it over the ground for 15 minutes is plenty of shaking to cause the air to escape up around the bottom of the filler neck and lower the level in the tank quickly. To see what I mean, next time you are at a gas station or wherever you fill your tank, fill it to so that the fuel is half way up the filler neck, then shake your machine good while watching. It will go down enough to get quite a bit more fuel in the tank. I can usually shake my machine several times before I get all the trapped air out and the tank full.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My side by side is like that. I can fill the tank to the brim and shake it by the roll bar, put in some more, shake again and so on, and get about another gallon and a half in it. Very frustrating. Why can't I just fill 'er up?

To the fuel consumption of the OP. If it really IS using that much fuel, that's pretty shocking. Your method sounded good, but maybe there is an issue like Green points out.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You might check your machine out, sounds like its running pretty rich to me. Can you smell any unburnt gas in the exhaust?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Repetition will make your stats more valid.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's not scientific but I just repeated the test and bounced the mower to be sure it was max full. I was mowing light growth on flat ground and it took 70 oz in 15 minutes or 2.1875 gal per hour using 87 octane 10% ethanol. This mornings test was up and down a shallow hillside and I'm using sharp G6 gator blades. Engine runs strong and there are no fuel smells. I think it's just a gas hog but expect it may get a bit better as it gets more hours on it.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fill your tank Check your hours, then run it until its almost empty. Recheck your hours and see how many gallons it takes for it to be refilled. Try to use the same gas pump if you can.
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 52" scag ztr with a 25hp kawasaki air cooled uses a about a gallon per hr
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post
I know it's not scientific but I just repeated the test and bounced the mower to be sure it was max full. I was mowing light growth on flat ground and it took 70 oz in 15 minutes or 2.1875 gal per hour using 87 octane 10% ethanol. This mornings test was up and down a shallow hillside and I'm using sharp G6 gator blades. Engine runs strong and there are no fuel smells. I think it's just a gas hog but expect it may get a bit better as it gets more hours on it.
Well, if your numbers are accurate or at least close, that is high fuel consumption for an EFI/DFI engine, even one as large as yours, without being in tall/thick (8-10") grass the entire time.