Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm kinda anal about numbers and accuracy. I'm sure my time was within 10 seconds and I'm sure that the tank was full when I started and full when I filled up again.

I used a 1/2 gal plastic pitcher marked in 8 oz increments and I was careful to measure accurately and poured the gas through a funnel slowly, without spilling any and shook the tank until it was absolutely full. It may not be accurate to the fraction of an oz but it I'm confident the numbers are close and that the mower uses well over 1/2 gal in 15 minutes in easy grass at wide open throttle going as fast as my butt and the turf can stand.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post
I'm kinda anal about numbers and accuracy. I'm sure my time was within 10 seconds and I'm sure that the tank was full when I started and full when I filled up again.

I used a 1/2 gal plastic pitcher marked in 8 oz increments and I was careful to measure accurately and poured the gas through a funnel slowly, without spilling any and shook the tank until it was absolutely full. It may not be accurate to the fraction of an oz but it I'm confident the numbers are close and that the mower uses well over 1/2 gal in 15 minutes in easy grass at wide open throttle going as fast as my butt and the turf can stand.
I trust you ability, just curious about the problem.

I know a gentleman at Bobcat, and they did extensive testing themselves to check fuel consumption on the 37 dfi. He told me the gph usage stayed in the 1.4 to 1.5 gph range, therefore they decided not to offer the FX1000V carburetor model engine on their Predator Pro. This was because the FX1000V-DFI was costing them only a small amount more money for the fact of buying so many, therefore they offered the most engine with the best fuel economy for the money, at a price it would pay for the difference in a short period of time.

Last edited by puppypaws; 08-20-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post

I don't doubt your ability to check it, but I do believe something is not right if those are your numbers, which they appear to be after two separate tests.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I don't doubt your ability to check it, but I do believe something is not right if those are your numbers, which they appear to be after two separate tests.
Yeah it definitely sounds like there is a problem in the fuel system. Like an O2 sensor malfunctioning, making the computer compensate with more fuel to even it out.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Oregon G6 blades are thicker and wider than most blades.... I noticed a increased fuel consumption on my walk behind when I put them on the first time.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
The Oregon G6 blades are thicker and wider than most blades.... I noticed a increased fuel consumption on my walk behind when I put them on the first time.
It's true that they are wider/thicker than many stock blades,and a lot of guys have reported a drop in power using them, but they actually spin up easier than the stock blades on my 950. It's easily seen watching the tach. It just depends on what kind of blade your machine comes with stock.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Yeah it definitely sounds like there is a problem in the fuel system. Like an O2 sensor malfunctioning, making the computer compensate with more fuel to even it out.
No 02 sensor incorporated on the Kawasaki DFI open loop system.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be looking for different mowers. Holy Cow!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a few 37 Kawy's horrible engines period. Fuel consumption was shocking and they blew up with less than 500 hrs. Yes I've heard they addressed the issues yada yada yada. They are garbage. I replaced mine with a Vanguard and couldn't be happier. Fuel consumption is also less. I've owned every conceivable engine in my 25 yrs in business and the big block Kawy's are terrible the37's are really bad.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the mower brand new and watched it come out of the crate. All settings are just as they left the factory all the technician did was pour 5 gal gas in, let the elec fuel pump work for about 5 seconds and the mower fired right up. My dealer is a good one and I'm going to run this by the shop manager.