Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My 31hp carbed version used a little over 2gph. One of the main reasons I traded it in so quickly. That is absolutely absurd fuel usage on a god damn mower for gods sake its not a 3000# car. And mine had backfiring issues and consumed oil and would smoke like a freight train a couple times a week when you started it up. That all added up to me wanting to get the hell away from that engine so I traded it in on the 29 efi kohler and boy what a difference! We are saving an honest $5+ a day on fuel usage. In a years time we will save between $600 to $700 in fuel. In 5 years time we will save over $3000.

I asked my dealer if they figured out what was wrong with it after I traded it in and he told me the valves were all out of wack and something was wrong with the carb. Thats the other thing. Why in the hell does kawi still use solid lifters that need frequent adjusting? That is just stupid. He said he had the mower sold in less than 2 weeks and it now is owned by a homeowner with 5 acres up the street.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
I had a few 37 Kawy's horrible engines period. Fuel consumption was shocking and they blew up with less than 500 hrs. Yes I've heard they addressed the issues yada yada yada. They are garbage. .
Bingo. We have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
I replaced mine with a Vanguard and couldn't be happier. Fuel consumption is also less. I've owned every conceivable engine in my 25 yrs in business and the big block Kawy's are terrible the37's are really bad.
I ran my 35 Vanguard today with G5's (preferred over G6). Checked fuel consumption was 1.9 gph. With high lifts, I've done as well as 1.5 gph.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
My 31hp carbed version used a little over 2gph. One of the main reasons I traded it in so quickly. That is absolutely absurd fuel usage on a god damn mower for gods sake its not a 3000# car. And mine had backfiring issues and consumed oil and would smoke like a freight train a couple times a week when you started it up. That all added up to me wanting to get the hell away from that engine so I traded it in on the 29 efi kohler and boy what a difference! We are saving an honest $5+ a day on fuel usage. In a years time we will save between $600 to $700 in fuel. In 5 years time we will save over $3000.
My 29 EFI Kohlers are right at 1.1 - 1.2 gph. They have been excellent engines.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The dealer Im getting the 3100 demo from said "make sure you bring an extra gas can" for the 37 DFI. I shrugged it off but maybe he is right...
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
No 02 sensor incorporated on the Kawasaki DFI open loop system.
Wasn't aware of that. How is the fuel metered?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Wasn't aware of that. How is the fuel metered?

Kawasakis open loop DFI is not much better than a carbed engine. They have a pre determined "tune" programmed into the computer. It has absolutely no ability to self adjust for changing weather and atmospheric conditions because it has no live data feedback like a closed loop system with an O2 sensor. Since it can not self adjust and change the fuel metering they have no choice but to make the tune richer than it needs to be just like a carbed engine. If they did not tune it this way you could run into lean conditions (when the weather is right) and burn up the engine. Kohlers closed loop system in FAR superior and will actually save you fuel because it self optimizes the perfect fuel mixture for all conditions so it does not run richer than it needs to be no matter what the conditions are. It is just a much better setup. There is a reason ALL automotive engines use closed loop efi.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Kawasakis open loop DFI is not much better than a carbed engine. They have a pre determined "tune" programmed into the computer. It has absolutely no ability to self adjust for changing weather and atmospheric conditions because it has no live data feedback like a closed loop system with an O2 sensor. Since it can not self adjust and change the fuel metering they have no choice but to make the tune richer than it needs to be just like a carbed engine. If they did not tune it this way you could run into lean conditions (when the weather is right) and burn up the engine. Kohlers closed loop system in FAR superior and will actually save you fuel because it self optimizes the perfect fuel mixture for all conditions so it does not run richer than it needs to be no matter what the conditions are. It is just a much better setup. There is a reason ALL automotive engines use closed loop efi.
Didn't puppy post a while back that Kawi told him they are working on their own closed loop system?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah I know how and what the efi does, I just didnt know kawi used a stand alone setup that wasn't metered. This info makes me rethink which engine I will look at when I shop for machines again.

I looked at a stand alone fuel injection setup that bolts on in place of the carb for my 86 k10 last year, but wasn't sure if it would be worth the money.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Yeah I know how and what the efi does, I just didnt know kawi used a stand alone setup that wasn't metered. This info makes me rethink which engine I will look at when I shop for machines again.

I looked at a stand alone fuel injection setup that bolts on in place of the carb for my 86 k10 last year, but wasn't sure if it would be worth the money.

Put an afr gauge in your blazer and then you can manually keep it tuned yourself. Go up two jet sizes in cool weather and down 2 in the summer. Kawi has to tune the engine to be optimum in cool weather. If they tuned it to be optimum in hot weather it would go lean in cool weather and that's not good. What's bad about that is most of the year the mower is in use it has to run on the rich side.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not that this makes any difference, but just for my education.... isn't the K-10 a 1/2T 4X4? My Blazer was a K5.