Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
DFI wont be as good as EFI from my understanding of it. DFI uses the same AFR under all loads, whereas the EFI is continually adjusting using the O2 sensor etc
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
DFI wont be as good as EFI from my understanding of it. DFI uses the same AFR under all loads, whereas the EFI is continually adjusting using the O2 sensor etc
Kohler EFI & Kawasaki DFI Difference Explanation


The Kawasaki system is an "OPEN LOOP”, non-feedback
System. This means that it follows a predetermined fuel map with no
feedback or ability to adapt to changing conditions or altitude. The
Kohler EFI is a Delphi designed "CLOSED LOOP " feedback fuel injection
system. This system uses an oxygen sensor and various inputs (from the
speed sensor, oil temp. sensor and throttle position sensor) to
determine what fuel and ignition requirements needed to constantly adapt
and deliver maximum efficiency.


The open loop fuel injection systems improved cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution and engine operation over a wide temperature range, but did not offer sufficient fuel/air mixture control to enable effective exhaust catalysis. Closed loop fuel injection systems improved the air/fuel mixture control with an exhaust gas oxygen sensor. The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust system and enables the engine management computer to determine and adjust the air/fuel ratio precisely and quickly.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Valk's Avatar
Valk Valk is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern KS
Posts: 2,721
Are you mechanically competent? If so, manually check the valves/clearances fwiw. Also, it seems that most are in agreement that G5s, especially G6s need more power to spin them. So, at the very least, check your fuel usage again with your standard blades.

My lil 16hp Kaw gets by with ~.6 gallons/hr. Yours is 4x more???
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
~ cut it high ~ let it fly ~
---------------------------------------------------
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:58 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Kohler EFI & Kawasaki DFI Difference Explanation


The Kawasaki system is an "OPEN LOOP”, non-feedback
System. This means that it follows a predetermined fuel map with no
feedback or ability to adapt to changing conditions or altitude. The
Kohler EFI is a Delphi designed "CLOSED LOOP " feedback fuel injection
system. This system uses an oxygen sensor and various inputs (from the
speed sensor, oil temp. sensor and throttle position sensor) to
determine what fuel and ignition requirements needed to constantly adapt
and deliver maximum efficiency.


The open loop fuel injection systems improved cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution and engine operation over a wide temperature range, but did not offer sufficient fuel/air mixture control to enable effective exhaust catalysis. Closed loop fuel injection systems improved the air/fuel mixture control with an exhaust gas oxygen sensor. The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust system and enables the engine management computer to determine and adjust the air/fuel ratio precisely and quickly.
Basically the same as what I said, only more complicated and I don't know that the DFI is a "Kawasaki system" in terms of my explanation anyhow, as I was just refering to DFI in general as opposed EFI.

So DFI may be slightly better than Carb, but never better or as good as an EFI.

Just to clear it up for anyone that's thinking DFI is going to be fantastic fuel numbers
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
It's a lot like the old Chevy trucks that had throttle body injection. They were better than carbs, but no where near as good as efi. There are a lot of gear heads that I know prefer a well tuned carb over any form of injection. Of course they have been spinning wrenches for 30 plus years and know carbs inside and out.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Doublesharp,

Something is wrong. Either with your fillup procedure or your engine! Should be in the 1.5 range for sure.

CurbAppealKS,

The TBI was a big step, and a lot better than any carb.

It's not always fuel economy, but drive-ability that is gained.
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Doublesharp,

Something is wrong. Either with your fillup procedure or your engine! Should be in the 1.5 range for sure.

CurbAppealKS,

The TBI was a big step, and a lot better than any carb.

It's not always fuel economy, but drive-ability that is gained.
Yeah I'm well aware of that, I was just making a comparison. I missed it my one year with my '86. I would have given a lot for a late 80's pickup with tbi.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM
doublesharp doublesharp is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: S.Indiana
Posts: 271
I second the 87 tbi 350 GM trucks. I remember when the 1987 Silverados were closed out at $9995 because of the new 88 body style. The deal was over before I was able to buy one but I picked up a 1 owner 1988 model a couple years later and it was a great truck.

I called Joe, the service manager at Southern Indiana Equipment, and he said 2 gal plus per hour was normal for the 37dfi so I'll just live with it and it is a fine Mowing Machine, just thirsty. I have learned not to start mowing unless I'm absolutely positive one tank is full.
__________________
Big Wheels in the back
Little Wheels in front
It's downhill all the way
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
My old boss scrapes up all of the late 80's trucks he can. I think he has 4 or 5 of them now. They were solid pickups.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post

I called Joe, the service manager at Southern Indiana Equipment, and he said 2 gal plus per hour was normal for the 37dfi so I'll just live with it and it is a fine Mowing Machine, just thirsty. I have learned not to start mowing unless I'm absolutely positive one tank is full.
Man, I don't know....Almost two and a half gallons per hour sounds VERY high! Like higher than carbed versions, high!

I would seriously like to see you put factory blades on it and mow as long as you can and fill up at a gas station.
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Page generated in 0.07972 seconds with 7 queries