Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
well ive been growing and I think its about time to go on a spending spree. I need to streamline the jobs so they get done faster. Im spending way to much time loading and unloading tools between my one trailer, then when i show up I almost always forget something crucial lol.
No need to spend money you do not have on a trailer. The idea of business is to make a profit,
Not to spend spend spend.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
No need to spend money you do not have on a trailer. The idea of business is to make a profit,
Not to spend spend spend.
Wow I couldn't agree more
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
well ive been growing and I think its about time to go on a spending spree. I need to streamline the jobs so they get done faster. Im spending way to much time loading and unloading tools between my one trailer, then when i show up I almost always forget something crucial lol.
Alex, sit down crack a cold one and think of needs versus wants. When I hear the words spending spree I cringe. So your growing that to me means to me your busy your Completeing jobs and getting paid. If your sitting on a pile of money purchase a certificate of deposit. I don't see a enclosed trailer making you complete jobs faster. If your forgetting things you need to work from a equipment checklist.. I also don't see a spending spree creating a solid core of a business foundation. I could write a book on what not to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let him spend. The economy needs a boost. Buy American.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Alex, sit down crack a cold one and think of needs versus wants. When I hear the words spending spree I cringe. So your growing that to me means to me your busy your Completeing jobs and getting paid. If your sitting on a pile of money purchase a certificate of deposit. I don't see a enclosed trailer making you complete jobs faster. If your forgetting things you need to work from a equipment checklist.. I also don't see a spending spree creating a solid core of a business foundation. I could write a book on what not to do.
I too could sit down and for 2-3 hours i could continuously type and financial mistakes I've made and lessons learned.

Alex - profit margins for the Hardscape industry are pathetically low. Scoring a $23k Hardscape gig does not mean you're living the good life and can buy buy buy. Not in this industry. In other industries - it's probably a greater possibility, but not with pavers. You may have work, but you're not swimming in cash. Heck, it takes the owner of a Hardscape business to have 3 crews out working in order for the owner to net what other industries make with just one crew.

I've been in hardscapes for 17 yrs. and never did we need a covered trailer. Never. And really - I don't think remembering tools was an issue. In the last 17 yrs something has probably been forgotten no more than 5 times. My bigget problem is the guys put the line levels in their pocketed and unintentionally take them home, then the next day we have no line levels and I'm rushing to Home Depot.

One thing I do is I make a to do list on my phone, as I think of things - I jot myself a note. So far for today I have 2
Tasks on my list for tonight - 1) pay phone bill 2) pay satellite bill. You can do the same for your job stuff
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trailers and trucks are a new contractor's way of saying "look at me, I'm making it".

But for us veteran contractors our mentality is different. We view old trucks, and lack of fancy trailers as an indicator that the owner isn't married to the bank and has a stash of money. It's an indicator of wisdom derived from lessons learned. The owners of established companies should be viewed as a credible threat. They can work for less money, do the job, and make a healthy profit. They have the smarts to know how to orchestrate a fleet if old trucks and do jobs without a covered trailer - so imagine their ability to craft the pricing for a job, win the job, and finish the job with a decent profit

Same thing with our motocross racing. There are families that roll in with their $250k motorhomes with matching trailers. Then when their bikes break they don't have the money to fix them because the motorhome payments are killing them. And then we have people like me who's RV is 20 yrs old and no banks or finance companies anywhere in the picture. Those $250k coach motorhomes do not make their kids race any better or faster.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 08-22-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy the trailer. It will make you more profitable in the long run. All this talk about the bank this and the bank that is nonsense. You may have enough money to buy or you may have to finance it. Either way you will have all the tools you need when you need them and they will be kept in better shape. In 10 years you may decide to sell the trailer and you will probably get at least half back on what you paid for it as long as its in decent shape.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
Buy the trailer. It will make you more profitable in the long run. All this talk about the bank this and the bank that is nonsense. You may have enough money to buy or you may have to finance it. Either way you will have all the tools you need when you need them and they will be kept in better shape. In 10 years you may decide to sell the trailer and you will probably get at least half back on what you paid for it as long as its in decent shape.

Voted the silliest post on lawnsite for the day
Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Voted the silliest post on lawnsite for the day
Ooookaaaaay
Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
Ooookaaaaay
Ya I posted a stronger reply moderator deleted it had to settle for something softer for you.