Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Ya I posted a stronger reply moderator deleted it had to settle for something softer for you.
Mods are usually a day late on here. Must of been straight up nasty for them to catch it that quick.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I suppose if someone has no money and only the prospect of a 20k job then I agree, don't buy a trailer. If you do 20k jobs weekly, then imo, go for it. It will help save time and travelling. Its a no brainer.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
Mods are usually a day late on here. Must of been straight up nasty for them to catch it that quick.
No it wasn't I don't post like that... I was surprised it was deleted outright ....
Old 08-22-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i actually agree with buying the trailer...you will finally have everything you need and will make you more efficient, period...i hate not having what we need, if you need it and don't have it, that means one of two things, you are either running back to the shop (which is down time for not only you, but your crew that is on the clock) or you are running to home depot (which is not only down time, but an additional expense)

i'm always in a hurry in the morning and forget SOMETHING...it would be nice to simply hook onto a trailer and go

it's like our mowing crews, sharpen the blades, scrape the decks, blow out air filters, and gas everything up before the crew gets there, that way they aren't wasting time in the morning doing it or out on the job...when they go out, they aren't wasting time running out of gas, restringing trimmers, etc., they are as efficient as possible because i got them fully prepared before they even arrived at the shop

not saying the other answers are wrong, if a trailer isn't needed then don't buy it, but if it is, then it's a no brainer to me
Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Were drifting from the original post the guy wants to go on a spending spree.....
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Were drifting from the original post the guy wants to go on a spending spree.....
Buying a trailer is Not a spending spree, buying a new terex and truck and two excavators is a spending spree, lol
Old 08-23-2013, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pics or it didn't happen zedo.

This belongs in the trailer thread, but a trailer won't make you money, it will just save you money. Which depending on who you're talking to is the same thing. But that money is recovered in scale. Aka if that trailer is being used daily.

And no one mentioned a transit or laser
Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zedos post about doing 20 grand per week is reasonable and I can agree with what he said.

But Drake is flat out dishing out foul information.

If a contractor on the forum is asking "what tools", then that's an indicator that he/she is a beginner. Because otherwise there necessity to ask would not exist.

And there is nothing wrong with being a beginner, nor is there anything wrong with asking questions.

But in an industry with the lowest margins and a high failure rate (most hardscapers make it less than 5 yrs) - its foolish to tell someone it's ok to spend and incur debt on equipment that they CAN DO PERFECTLY FINE WITHOUT. So yes, buying a trailer is a spending spree because Unless he lives in an apartment and has no where to store his tools - IT IS A SPENDING SPREE.

There was a guy that participated on the forum from Pa, his name is Chris. He bought and bought and bought. I even commented on the forum that it looked like a lot of money was being spent. 2 yrs later he was shut down and everything was auctioned off.

What good is life if we can not slow down and enjoy it? Working for the banks is not enjoyable. It's stressful.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 08-23-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No it wasn't I don't post like that... I was surprised it was deleted outright ....
The mods go on deleting sprees. I have had legit posts deleted.

It would be nice if lawnsite could tell us why. Some of the deletes have been unnecessary. I once even thought about calling the registered owners of lawnsite to get an explanation.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A lot of guys hear are passin bad advice, or rather advice without context. the original post indicated he was forgeting tools needs to complete jobs faster and he is growing, this indicates other issues a procedural issue. That should be corrected first. What's the status of cash flow, how much cash reserve is their what is the current debt load. If all income stopped for a 2 month period what impact would that have. Would their be a layoff a shutdown. I want to know debt load and cash reserve and total business assets before I recommend any capital purchase. All of you should aswell or you can't be taken seriously.