Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gas is best IMO. Nine out of 10 times Mr. Smith isn't home when you blow a breaker. And trust me that happens often
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
when the time comes should i buy a gas powered wet saw or save money and go electric

You definitely want a gas saw. And it was on my mind the other night to tell you that you will need a paver saw more than you will need an enclosed trailer.

EDCO. That's the only brand to buy. And this I recommend that you buy NEW.

Now - there will be a lot of dust. Dust is bad for engines. So, with that said.....expect to get 2 years out of a Honda engine. When the engine locks up - you simply replace the engine (along with the belts).

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gas.......... For all the reasons above
Old 08-24-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
You definitely want a gas saw. And it was on my mind the other night to tell you that you will need a paver saw more than you will need an enclosed trailer.

EDCO. That's the only brand to buy. And this I recommend that you buy NEW.

Now - there will be a lot of dust. Dust is bad for engines. So, with that said.....expect to get 2 years out of a Honda engine. When the engine locks up - you simply replace the engine (along with the belts).
wouldnt it make sense to buy a used one with a blown engine then?

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
wouldnt it make sense to buy a used one with a blown engine then?
For the right price... Got one in mind shoot us the details
Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't do paver's like I have said before, but I do construction, site work every day mostly commercial work.

I been reading this forum quite a lot because one, it is entertaining and two, I enjoy seeing others work.
More of a design build than what we do. We have to follow plans and specs that are given to use and can not deviate from that at all.

I also have noticed that different guys choose to go about doing the work in a very different manner depending on who is posting.

This my thinking on how you become more profitable, increase work and grow your business. This relates to the OP's question. I believe that what ever tools you need to do your work the fastest, most accurately, and the cheapest way are the keys.

I never consider a tool to expensive if it saves on labor, saves on time, and saves on mistakes. I realize that you can over spend but if you have the work to justify the equipment and it increase those three key factors than it should be in your tool box.

Doesn't matter what business it is, you have a start up cost that you need to spend. Some have to buy excavators, and dump trucks, and some just need a EDCO saw.

If you can increase speed, decrease labor, and increase quality, you will increase work load and profits.

The reason I posted this is this, don't go cheap on the basic start up tools, this is the only way to complete with the others that all ready have them.

Last edited by jmacd; 08-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
I don't do paver's like I have said before, but I do construction, site work every day mostly commercial work.

I been reading this forum quite a lot because one, it is entertaining and two, I enjoy seeing others work.
More of a design build than what we do. We have to follow plans and specs that are given to use and can not deviate from that at all.

I also have noticed that different guys choose to go about doing the work in a very different manner depending on who is posting.

This my thinking on how you become more profitable, increase work and grow your business. This relates to the OP's question. I believe that what ever tools you need to do your work the fastest, most accurately, and the cheapest way are the keys.

I never consider a tool to expensive if it saves on labor, saves on time, and saves on mistakes. I realize that you can over spend but if you have the work to justify the equipment and it increase those three key factors than it should be in your tool box.

Doesn't matter what business it is, you have a start up cost that you need to spend. Some have to buy excavators, and dump trucks, and some just need a EDCO saw.

If you can increase speed, decrease labor, and increase quality, you will increase work load and profits.

The reason I posted this is this, don't go cheap on the basic start up tools, this is the only way to complete with the others that all ready have them.
In relation to this topic, you're missing the point.

Of course a new business will need to buy equipment.

But, again, in terms of the thread, topic at hand, an enclosed trailer is absolutely an unnecessary expense. Unless you live in an apartment or townhome.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree on the trailer, I thought he was asking about a saw? Is that not one of the very basic tools needed way before a trailer.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How has this guy been getting tools to job? I guess I would go with trailer. I also stripe parking lots....I wished I had an enclosed strictly for this business... Stencils, drawers, string lines, paint, cones, blowers, etc. I spend so much time loading and unloading just for painting that its a waste of time but I have a lot of flat bed trailers and for now I get by...vs purchasing the enclosed.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post

There is a difference between start-up costs and bad investments. I was ok with spending money on the tools however it turns out that my money will be put to use better on something else.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!