Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM
zedosix's Avatar
zedosix zedosix is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,409
Gas is best IMO. Nine out of 10 times Mr. Smith isn't home when you blow a breaker. And trust me that happens often
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
when the time comes should i buy a gas powered wet saw or save money and go electric

You definitely want a gas saw. And it was on my mind the other night to tell you that you will need a paver saw more than you will need an enclosed trailer.

EDCO. That's the only brand to buy. And this I recommend that you buy NEW.

Now - there will be a lot of dust. Dust is bad for engines. So, with that said.....expect to get 2 years out of a Honda engine. When the engine locks up - you simply replace the engine (along with the belts).
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Gas.......... For all the reasons above
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-24-2013, 03:17 PM
alexschultz1's Avatar
alexschultz1 alexschultz1 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: north of atlanta
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
You definitely want a gas saw. And it was on my mind the other night to tell you that you will need a paver saw more than you will need an enclosed trailer.

EDCO. That's the only brand to buy. And this I recommend that you buy NEW.

Now - there will be a lot of dust. Dust is bad for engines. So, with that said.....expect to get 2 years out of a Honda engine. When the engine locks up - you simply replace the engine (along with the belts).
wouldnt it make sense to buy a used one with a blown engine then?
__________________

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
wouldnt it make sense to buy a used one with a blown engine then?
For the right price... Got one in mind shoot us the details
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 PM
jmacd jmacd is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 204
I don't do paver's like I have said before, but I do construction, site work every day mostly commercial work.

I been reading this forum quite a lot because one, it is entertaining and two, I enjoy seeing others work.
More of a design build than what we do. We have to follow plans and specs that are given to use and can not deviate from that at all.

I also have noticed that different guys choose to go about doing the work in a very different manner depending on who is posting.

This my thinking on how you become more profitable, increase work and grow your business. This relates to the OP's question. I believe that what ever tools you need to do your work the fastest, most accurately, and the cheapest way are the keys.

I never consider a tool to expensive if it saves on labor, saves on time, and saves on mistakes. I realize that you can over spend but if you have the work to justify the equipment and it increase those three key factors than it should be in your tool box.

Doesn't matter what business it is, you have a start up cost that you need to spend. Some have to buy excavators, and dump trucks, and some just need a EDCO saw.

If you can increase speed, decrease labor, and increase quality, you will increase work load and profits.

The reason I posted this is this, don't go cheap on the basic start up tools, this is the only way to complete with the others that all ready have them.
__________________
www.macdonoughexcavating.com

Last edited by jmacd; 08-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
I don't do paver's like I have said before, but I do construction, site work every day mostly commercial work.

I been reading this forum quite a lot because one, it is entertaining and two, I enjoy seeing others work.
More of a design build than what we do. We have to follow plans and specs that are given to use and can not deviate from that at all.

I also have noticed that different guys choose to go about doing the work in a very different manner depending on who is posting.

This my thinking on how you become more profitable, increase work and grow your business. This relates to the OP's question. I believe that what ever tools you need to do your work the fastest, most accurately, and the cheapest way are the keys.

I never consider a tool to expensive if it saves on labor, saves on time, and saves on mistakes. I realize that you can over spend but if you have the work to justify the equipment and it increase those three key factors than it should be in your tool box.

Doesn't matter what business it is, you have a start up cost that you need to spend. Some have to buy excavators, and dump trucks, and some just need a EDCO saw.

If you can increase speed, decrease labor, and increase quality, you will increase work load and profits.

The reason I posted this is this, don't go cheap on the basic start up tools, this is the only way to complete with the others that all ready have them.
In relation to this topic, you're missing the point.

Of course a new business will need to buy equipment.

But, again, in terms of the thread, topic at hand, an enclosed trailer is absolutely an unnecessary expense. Unless you live in an apartment or townhome.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 PM
jmacd jmacd is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 204
I agree on the trailer, I thought he was asking about a saw? Is that not one of the very basic tools needed way before a trailer.
__________________
www.macdonoughexcavating.com
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM
meets1's Avatar
meets1 meets1 is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW, Iowa
Posts: 3,634
How has this guy been getting tools to job? I guess I would go with trailer. I also stripe parking lots....I wished I had an enclosed strictly for this business... Stencils, drawers, string lines, paint, cones, blowers, etc. I spend so much time loading and unloading just for painting that its a waste of time but I have a lot of flat bed trailers and for now I get by...vs purchasing the enclosed.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM
alexschultz1's Avatar
alexschultz1 alexschultz1 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: north of atlanta
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
I don't do paver's like I have said before, but I do construction, site work every day mostly commercial work.

I been reading this forum quite a lot because one, it is entertaining and two, I enjoy seeing others work.
More of a design build than what we do. We have to follow plans and specs that are given to use and can not deviate from that at all.

I also have noticed that different guys choose to go about doing the work in a very different manner depending on who is posting.

This my thinking on how you become more profitable, increase work and grow your business. This relates to the OP's question. I believe that what ever tools you need to do your work the fastest, most accurately, and the cheapest way are the keys.

I never consider a tool to expensive if it saves on labor, saves on time, and saves on mistakes. I realize that you can over spend but if you have the work to justify the equipment and it increase those three key factors than it should be in your tool box.

Doesn't matter what business it is, you have a start up cost that you need to spend. Some have to buy excavators, and dump trucks, and some just need a EDCO saw.

If you can increase speed, decrease labor, and increase quality, you will increase work load and profits.

The reason I posted this is this, don't go cheap on the basic start up tools, this is the only way to complete with the others that all ready have them.
There is a difference between start-up costs and bad investments. I was ok with spending money on the tools however it turns out that my money will be put to use better on something else.
__________________

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.07681 seconds with 7 queries