Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Likely dropping BBB this year, plz suggest alternatives

We will likely be dropping our BBB accreditation this year after a price increase (they want $560 this year)

Anyway I'm looking for cheap or free, lawn care or business, awards or groups to join to be able to post on our website.
I like to have a few referencing logos and removing the BBB will leave a gap.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yelp, Houzz both have badges associated with reviews. If you have reviews on Google then a G+ badge would work. Check out some competitors sites- what badges do they have?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
We will likely be dropping our BBB accreditation this year after a price increase (they want $560 this year)

Anyway I'm looking for cheap or free, lawn care or business, awards or groups to join to be able to post on our website.

Thanks
Good for you! I honestly don't understand how people can trust bbb ratings, especially for accredited companies. Since their ratings are essentially paid for.

Depending on how your rating is with the BBB after you drop your membership, you could just post a link to your BBB page (without using the BBB logo)
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good info. I had no idea it cost money (no idea why I thought this) to be listed and preferred by them. They just sent me an email and phone message wanting me to sign up and if I wanted to be "accredited".

I assumed they got my info from registering my business with the IRS when I filed my taxes, as this was my 1st year working for myself.

I filled out the online form but if it costs money I'm not going to waste anymore time with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have this great long lost uncle in Nigeria who will send me millions if I just give him my CC#.

Oh wait, this is a BBB thread.

Same difference.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Good info. I had no idea it cost money (no idea why I thought this) to be listed and preferred by them. They just sent me an email and phone message wanting me to sign up and if I wanted to be "accredited".

I assumed they got my info from registering my business with the IRS when I filed my taxes, as this was my 1st year working for myself.

I filled out the online form but if it costs money I'm not going to waste anymore time with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
They will call and give you a 5 or 10 minute interview to make sure your online answers match what you say, then expect a hard sale pitch.

If you decline their $400-$500 "accreditation fee" you will get a bunch more calls. and eventually your un-accredited listing will show up.

Since you are a new business expect a C or lower rating till you hit the 5 year mark.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post

Thanks
Look into becoming a member of your Chamber of Commerce. Around here it's 65$ a year. Great exposure and people like that you're part of the community. The chambers website lists your business and description also, including a link to your website, phone number.....etc. You can also advertise your business in the monthly news letter.