Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

21hp Kawasaki stalls out

Need some help, folks!
After less than 6 hours my new Fastrak's Kawasaki 21 hp stalled out. After 10-20 minutes I was able to restart it, very uneven starting, blowing smoke, but finally evening out and running smoothly again. This happened 3 times or so, during the next 10 hours. Now, with about 17 hours, it will only run for 10 minutes or so--then die. I'm reasonably sure it is not a vacuum lock (switched tank caps/loosened tank caps) and not bad gas--I've used several tanks. I noticed the rear plug was black/fouled. Shop took it--said they replaced a coil and plugs, but the engine died within 10 minutes of mowing when I got it back. Has anyone had a problem similar to this with a Kawasaki? Any ideas?? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

hmmm, weird one. since the dealer said he repl the coil, lets bypass ign for now. those kawasakis have trouble with the bowl vents. some are external with a hose coming of the top of the carb that can get melted or pinched shut causing a rich condition. some carbs are inernal vents ( holes in front face of carb) that can get clogged or coverd and cause rich issue/ fouling issue. also make sure the choke is opening 100% when in the off position. we have seen some of the new ones bind and stick a little causing the choke plate to be 10-25% closed and this causes a rich/flooding condition as the mower heats up.

Also we have just a few kawasaki mufflers on the bigger 28hp go bad. one of the baffles inside the muffler broke free and when it would heat up it would move and block exhaust flow just killing the power or motor completely.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhustler View Post
Need some help, folks!
After less than 6 hours my new Fastrak's Kawasaki 21 hp stalled out. After 10-20 minutes I was able to restart it, very uneven starting, blowing smoke, but finally evening out and running smoothly again. This happened 3 times or so, during the next 10 hours. Now, with about 17 hours, it will only run for 10 minutes or so--then die. I'm reasonably sure it is not a vacuum lock (switched tank caps/loosened tank caps) and not bad gas--I've used several tanks. I noticed the rear plug was black/fouled. Shop took it--said they replaced a coil and plugs, but the engine died within 10 minutes of mowing when I got it back. Has anyone had a problem similar to this with a Kawasaki? Any ideas?? Thanks!

Might be worth reading this post. He had problems with a 21Kawa.

Good luck. Phil

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=244313

=
Old 09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, that was me that had the problem. Mine wass doing almost the same thing yours was doing. Only difference was mine wasn't getting fuel and running lean. The first thing I would suggest doing is mounting a small tank higher than the motor, and connecting clear fuel lines to the pump. Run the mower and see if it does it. If it still does it this tells you there is a problem with the fuel pump or the carb.

After having mine in the shop for two weeks, and three dealerships, Kawasaki sent me a brand new complete motor. Rus with absoluteley no problem now and the dealer and Kawaskai and Snapper have no real explanation. I personally think that they were overlooking something in the carb. Put clear fuel lines on it first. This will tell you a lot.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One other thing. After I got the mower back, it would run fine and never cut out, but I couldn't see any fuel in the filter. Dealer said that was not uncommon, but I have never had a piece of eqipment that you couldn't see gas in the fuel filter. I pulled the tanks and washed them out. There was a little bit of debris in the bottom of the tanks. I also put on a big Kohler fuel filter. Kohler filter was twice as big as Kawasaki's. After I did this the motor runs great and there is fuel in the filter while it is under full load now. Pulled plugs and they look perfect.

It does sound stupid, but if I were you I would clean the tank and put on one of the Kohler big fuel filters. Made a difference for me.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

May want to check with your dealer, but I think Hustler is having an issue(internal corrosion) with the relays behind the dash panel on some units. They are replacing the original relays with new sealed ones. Have a customer with a Hustler Z and it was popping and stuttering and had intermittent spark. Removed the dash panel and started checking the 6 or so relays under the panel and found one with discolored posts. Removed and stuck a new one in and back in biz.

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New machine, I would take it right back to the dealer. No sence in wasting your time figuring it out, thats what warranty is for
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all who replied! (Any other ideas are more than welcomed!)
Mower is back at the dealers for round two--I passed on your suggestions. One other thing I failed to mention. When engine dies I cannot restart it immediately. Usually after 5-20 minutes I can. It turns over, but will not catch. As I've waited I've pulled off the air filter cover and filter once or twice. I've noticed there is a good bit of gas (3/8 inch or so) in the carb throat. Perhaps that comes from cranking it unsuccessfully. If not, does that tell you anything?? Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When mine was doing what yours was doing I was able to immediately restart mine. All I had to do was choke it and it would fire back up. Run fine for a few minutes then start cuttiing out and shut off again. every time all I had to do is choke it and it would start. From what you are saying I can see why the dealer replaced the coil. I have had a few go bad on me a while back. When I would try to restart it it would not fire. Once again, I would look at the ignition again. You might have a condition of the motor running too rich. To be honest, don't know what exactly causes a motor to start running rich exactly, but I am sure one of the guys on here could tell you what usually causes a motor to run really rich.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for staying with me, mjealey. Hope your new engine is still going strong! Sounds like we have two different problems here.
I noticed all the gas in the carb throat twice when it cut off and wouldn't restart. It sat for a couple of days while I was away. When I started it again to put it on the trailer (to get back to the dealer) I pulled the air filter and looked at the carb. It was dry. I'm thinking it should normally be dry--and wondering about all the gas in there when it will not start. Would this come from repeatedly turning it over? Perhaps this is due to the bowl or choke issue someone suggested. If the dealer can't figure it out this time, I'll try mowerknower's suggestion. Thanks again for all input!