Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How to isolate wiring problem in Lazer?

Many thanks to Restrorob, Piston Slapper and Bigfish for helping me to diagnose my recent clutch bearing problem, and starting me on my way. A new aftermarket clutch is now installed, and so I am now trying to isolate why the starter won't go. This is an Exmark Lazer HP with a 23hp Kawasaki.

Some stuff I tested so far:
- The starter turns when I jump the solenoid.
- There is no power to the orange/blk solenoid wire when I try to start
- The Starter switch and PTO switch seem to be working correctly based on testing per the wiring diagram
- Swapped the relays with some from another machine, they work fine in the other machine

I am baffled by the wiring diagrams. Is there a way to start to narrow down or isolate the problem? Is there a starting point?

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey hackitdown could you post a pic of the diagrams and schematics you have? Don't get discouraged with all the circuits running all over the place on the schematics you most likely only have to trace a couple circuits. I would start from the solenoid and work backwards to the start switch on the schematic. If there's 12v on the start terminal at the key switch then trace the wire down to it's next connection point (fuses,safety interlock module, etc ) test for 12v there . Trace the org/blk wire see where it is supposed to be getting it's 12v from .
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If the starter turns when you jump the solenoid then you need a new solenoid.

Try and trace that orange/blk wire back to the source.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
If the starter turns when you jump the solenoid then you need a new solenoid.

Try and trace that orange/blk wire back to the source.
If there is no 12v signal from keyswitch to the solenoid (small 12v supply wire ) then the contactor won't engage to power the starter on via the lg power cables. Jumping the lg posts on the solenoid is just jumping the contactor directly to the battery bypassing everything and doesn't mean that the solenoid is bad and needs replacing. Solenoids have a control circuit which consists of small wiring/ small amps which turns on and off a power circuit which consists of larger gauge power wires which handle a larger current load.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
Hey hackitdown could you post a pic of the diagrams and schematics you have? Don't get discouraged with all the circuits running all over the place on the schematics you most likely only have to trace a couple circuits. I would start from the solenoid and work backwards to the start switch on the schematic. If there's 12v on the start terminal at the key switch then trace the wire down to it's next connection point (fuses,safety interlock module, etc ) test for 12v there . Trace the org/blk wire see where it is supposed to be getting it's 12v from .
Good info Normie....
To familiarize myself with a wiring schematic I usually print a few copies...
Using HiLiter markers...I trace each circuit with a different color marker..start...run...off..clutch..charge...pos. neg....
It makes a mess of colors...but by the time I've traced each circuit..I have a good idea what makes everything work..
Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
Many thanks to Restrorob, Piston Slapper and Bigfish for helping me to diagnose my recent clutch bearing problem, and starting me on my way. A new aftermarket clutch is now installed, and so I am now trying to isolate why the starter won't go. This is an Exmark Lazer HP with a 23hp Kawasaki.

Some stuff I tested so far:
- The starter turns when I jump the solenoid.
- There is no power to the orange/blk solenoid wire when I try to start
- The Starter switch and PTO switch seem to be working correctly based on testing per the wiring diagram
- Swapped the relays with some from another machine, they work fine in the other machine

I am baffled by the wiring diagrams. Is there a way to start to narrow down or isolate the problem? Is there a starting point?
OK, lets try this again...........
Is the start terminal " S " on the back of the key switch hot when ya turn the key to start? If so, then the problem is downstream, no?
Get yer pointy test light and start probing, youll find the problem.
Do what Slapper said and trace/ color the wire that comes off the key switch "S" term. ( on paper) Eventually it will lead to the starter solenoid.
Now, if the S term is NOT hot when ya turn the key to start, then ya got a voltage feed problem TO the keyswitch OR the switch is bad. Simple.. Huh??

You will prolly find that the start circuit involves the PTO sw. along with relay/s and safety switches. You could also make a jumper to go from the keyswitch "S" to the start solenoid small stud/terminal to test the solenoid, or just a short jumper from the sol. bat+ terminal to the small stud/term.

As others have mentioned, it could be the PTO switch, as they have been known to crap out from arcing due to the clutch coil collapsing ( another story).

......AMF!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Sponsor

We have some diagrams that will make his troubleshooting process MUCH easier but we need the serial number to be able to provide the correct one. Please provide your serial number or give us a call at 1-800-667-5296.
Exmark Customer Service
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
We have some diagrams that will make his troubleshooting process MUCH easier but we need the serial number to be able to provide the correct one. Please provide your serial number or give us a call at 1-800-667-5296.
Exmark Customer Service
Thanks for the help.

Model #LHP5223KA
Ser # 527523

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Sponsor

Attached are the start and run schematics for your LHP. If you need any help, weíre only a phone call away.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LHP_KAW_R.pdf (822.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf LHP_KAW_S.pdf (817.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Handy.........Thanks, Exmark!

......AMF!