Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

switching out blades on stihl grass scythe to hedge trimmer blades

has anybody done this? i picked up one of this attachments yrs ago, really for a one time big job yrs ago. i do use it at times but now a days it just seams to pretty much sits around, not to mention atm i'm in need of a use a hedge trimmer attachment. long story short, have plans to pickup a attachment for another brand of trimmer here but before i lay out the cash wanted to lokk into this option. so for now wondering if anyone ever did this or maybe look into it, having a hard time finding a parts breakdown to see what's what , thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. would think the makeup of the both attachments are pretty similar and may be just a matter of switching out to the bigger blades, idk. thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the same stihl scythe and use it for shrubs all the time. It does a great job and have had nothing but compliments on it. I actually didnt know it was the scythe until a few days after I had bought it. Works great though. I dont know about changing out the blades from another attachment though. Never tried that one.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think what you have is just a shorter version of hedge trimmers. I wouldn't try to convert it unless the blades are shot.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrogers View Post
I have the same stihl scythe and use it for shrubs all the time. It does a great job and have had nothing but compliments on it. I actually didnt know it was the scythe until a few days after I had bought it. Works great though. I dont know about changing out the blades from another attachment though. Never tried that one.
yeah, i took it with me a few times used it. remember some boxwoods or something and that i had a hard time reaching. blades are short but got the job done, ran it on a fs110 had some power, this is nice attachment to have. it's looking like i'm gonna be in need of the trimmers though coming up, was looking at an attachment for another brand but was pretty costly, if i could get the blades (blade bolts and nuts) at a better cost and it will work this might be the way i'm going go. hopefully i could get my hands on the parts breakdown for these things and soon.

Last edited by bare spot; 08-22-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone know how i get a parts breakdown of the attachments i need to check out? do i got to go to a dealer with my hat in hand, and the questions i'll get on why i need it? not like i have whole lot of time to be messing around with this but i can't find a parts diagram. idk, i'm getting a little frustrated over this and starting to think i'm just better off selling this thing and buy the other attachment i mentioned.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

for the cost of new Blades (even on Flea Bay) seal, etc in my opinion it's not worth replacing the blades

I would throw the old unit on Ebay, be honest in your listing (someone will buy it)

an buy a new unit

you'll prob be surprised what the used unit brings

my .02
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

having issuues getting on their site so not sure what they go for new but think i just seen some aftermarket blades that look doable cost wise. that is if they will work and if could get some part numbers.