Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying a Used Stander

I'm not a pro, but ever since I was working full time as a landscaper, I've been unable to tolerate the usual homeowner type equipment. My current machine is an ancient SCAG 48" belt drive, and it leaves a nice cut, but I've decided to move on. For my purposes, I think a stander will be the best combination of compact storage, speed (I do 2-3 lawns, none of which I get paid for - they're all mine or family), etc... I also need to get off frequently to move toys/lawn charis, sticks, etc. I'd prefer a 48" flaoting deck if I can find one (since I already have 1500lb ramps to put my SCAG in the back of the pickup), but I'm not opposed to a 52" or even a 54" if I come across the right deal, and I'd consider a fixed deck. I'm just outside of Boston.

Wright's are common as dirt around here, but seem to go for crazy prices even when dead (ie: blown engine and beat to pieces). I've also seen many posts that they don't cut as well as some others.

When would be the best time to get something for the best price? I'm not under any pressure to buy, just would like to cut down the amount of time I spend mowing, I have little enough time with the family on the weekends as it is.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Chris