Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

mounting a dump insert to a flatbed

Going over some ideas here for my new rig
I have a short bed F250. I want to get a dump insert for it.
Now, the question is, wouldn't it be less weight and more use if the dump insert mounted to a flatbed, instead of into the factory bed? the factory bed would become useless with the insert in it, as well as heavy. If I put a dump insert onto an aluminum flatbed, for example, then I could built tool boxes or something around the insert, and utilize that space that would otherwise be lost with the factory bed. Anyone done this before, or am I just planning a disaster for myself?
I just think the factory bed would be made redundant with an insert on it. would a flatbed take the weight of dumping ok?
Is this doable/ wise??
Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just hook a lift right up to the flat bed then?

And still not rich

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

First, where could I find a hoist for that? Second, unlike a dump insert, would a non-dumping flatbed turned into a dumper be able to take the added strain of the dump weight?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have done both.
They both work fine.
Personally I would go for the dump insert.
It is removable for the next truck
It was designed for its use

When putting a hoist under a flat bed you must do some fabrication on bed itself.
We have found that dump angles are not as steep.
Also with dump angle and mounting we loose a fair amount of dump weight capacity.
Good luck with your choice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can find the hoists anywhere, pretty sure even northern tool has them in their catalogue.

The whole purpose of an insert to me is convenience, it seems like a lot of extra work to remove the truck body, install a flatbed, then install the insert. 3 steps instead of one, just to gain some tool boxes.

And still not rich

Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox4Life View Post
You can find the hoists anywhere, pretty sure even northern tool has them in their catalogue.

The whole purpose of an insert to me is convenience, it seems like a lot of extra work to remove the truck body, install a flatbed, then install the insert. 3 steps instead of one, just to gain some tool boxes.
that's a real good point. Just speculation at this stage anyway. I guess I was thinking somewhere along the line of this: http://truckcraft.com/products/combi...cedump-bodies/,. However, I got a quote for just over 10K for this, so not on the cards right now! So I'm thinking, get a 2K flatbed, a 3K dump insert, and either build some nice boxes (lets say $200-300), or buy some diamond plate ones (1K). That brings it around to 6K, which is a lot cheaper than the 10K truckcraft, and should also be lighter than a dump insert in a factory truck bed.
Turned off the idea of a hoist directly to the flatbed, based on Dependable Landscaping's input

Name:  truckcraft.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  truckcraft 2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  85.7 KB
Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

... unless someone knows another company that sells something similar to the truckcraft body but cheaper?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Every company sells a dumping flatbed, no fab required. Mount some Craigslist toolboxes to the sides and you're done. Look up rugby and eby
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mounting a dump insert to a flatbed

I think I'd sell the truck and buy a truck that fits my needs a little better. I have a short bed and would really like a long bed. But my truck is paid for and I'm not buying another for along time. P.S. I have a F350 flatbed with a dump and love it.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeklandscaping View Post
that's a real good point. Just speculation at this stage anyway. I guess I was thinking somewhere along the line of this: http://truckcraft.com/products/combi...cedump-bodies/,. However, I got a quote for just over 10K for this, so not on the cards right now! So I'm thinking, get a 2K flatbed, a 3K dump insert, and either build some nice boxes (lets say $200-300), or buy some diamond plate ones (1K). That brings it around to 6K, which is a lot cheaper than the 10K truckcraft, and should also be lighter than a dump insert in a factory truck bed.
Turned off the idea of a hoist directly to the flatbed, based on Dependable Landscaping's input

Attachment 278978

Attachment 278979
Still seems like a lot of hassle and a lot of extra expense to gain some toolboxes though. 3k to keep the pick up body, 6k to have a flatbed with tool boxes.

I have an insert in one of my pickups, I installed a regular truck box into the insert that I can remove in about a minute depending on what I am using the truck for that day.

And still not rich