Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I picked up a big account for next season and after deliberating on it for weeks, I am going to buy a Snapper pro, 36 hydro walk behind. I like my Toro 3000 ZTR just fine, but it won't handle these east TN hills very well. I know there are many variables, but what can I expect to pay for a decent to very good used one? And if you happen to have one, let me know. Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwoodall View Post
I picked up a big account for next season and after deliberating on it for weeks, I am going to buy a Snapper pro, 36 hydro walk behind. I like my Toro 3000 ZTR just fine, but it won't handle these east TN hills very well. I know there are many variables, but what can I expect to pay for a decent to very good used one? And if you happen to have one, let me know. Thanks
Where are you in East 10-E-C ?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You'll be happy with your purchase... Coming from another Woodall with a snapper pro 36
Old 08-25-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in Sevierville TN..just down the street from Gatlinburg if you are not familiar. And another Woodall in the business on here with a snapper pro.. I was born in Georgia...wonder if we are Kin, not a common name. Yeah I hope I can find a good deal on a decent one so I can mow these hills better. You want to see some hills and crazy terrain this is the place.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I am in Sevierville TN..just down the street from Gatlinburg if you are not familiar. And another Woodall in the business on here with a snapper pro.. I was born in Georgia...wonder if we are Kin, not a common name. Yeah I hope I can find a good deal on a decent one so I can mow these hills better. You want to see some hills and crazy terrain this is the place.
Could be... We came from AL (weiss lake, centre area). I have a 2007-2008ish 36" hydro with floating deck. I used to have a late 90's model 36" fixed deck belt drive before this one. You'll pay $4k for a brand new one and around $1-2k for a used one. I paid $1k for my old one 4 years ago, used it for 4 years and sold it this spring for what I paid for it. Got my current one for $1400 which was an absolute steal for the condition it was in. I was going to buy a brand new one this year but came across my current mower on craigslist locally. I know sevierville, TN pretty well. My ex's relatives live on the lake in sevierville.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Umm, I grew up in Alabama, specifically Mobile. We lived in the Samson area as well..interesting. Reference to the Snapper mower, I want to spend around $1500 to $2000 so that sounds good, hopefully I can find a used one that has been taken care of well. I treat my Toro better than I do my truck, so I know about taking care of equipment and how to tell if that is the case. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
It completely depends on what kind of terrain you have. Wide open flat turf, a Z will do well. Small, hilly terrain and a Z is useless. The standers are very comparable to a Z. Currently we are running 5 walk behinds , a Vantage , and a Laser.

The Vantage is for sale and the Z gets used 1day a week.

A lot of guys run a Z simply because it is easier. In my opinion, putting a Z on a 5000 sq ft lawn is a horrible idea. But if you need to get the work done fast and aren't really concerned about how it looks then a Z is the way to go.

Look at the big companies. What are they running? For the most part , walk behinds, there is a reason for that. They are more versatile.

Big companies go this route because a WB can be bought for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a ZTR. The suits buying the equipment also go cheap because it is not their legs getting hammered everyday.

The best mower is the mowers that you need to do your customers property's.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 walk behinds but we mostly run our 2 ztrs most of the time because my 2 man crew can get done faster with them. But I have to admit that there's nothing better than a good quality hydro walk behind. If I was a solo mowing guy I would use walk behinds most of the time.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Advantage of walk behinds, moral superiority when posting on the lawnsite.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know a guy who walks 50 lawns a week with his 48" WB. Right about now in the season he is calling me to mow for him while he cant walk with shin splints. Why walk when you can ride? I need a WB for properties but would never solely run one

PlowSite-SnowFakers