Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1998 Hino cabover dump

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/3981769996.html

Need some info on this since it's the first Hino cabover I have come across.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned many of those as box trucks for a mine site delivery business I used to own .Those trucks were trouble free ,abused daily ,always overloaded and sent on miserable roads ,and cant think of a single reason why I wouldn't buy another .
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It has the 5.3 Isuzu diesel and 5 speed Isuzu trans I'm guessing. I know Toyota didn't buy hino until 2001 so I really don't know hino reputation before Toyota bought them. The guy is asking 10,500 for it.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bringing this to the top. I know there aren't a lot of these out there.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not sure about the US ,but we have had them in Canada at least since 1983 when I worked at the dealership as a mechanic .They have always been a very trouble free truck ,can remember doing only 2 clutches ,2 complete wiring harnesses [the driver spilled his coffee directly on the fuse box which was under the coffee holders in the very early ones ] ,a few starters ,and honestly very little else .I owned a truck-trailer repair shop in the 90's ,and one of my customers went bankrupt so I ended up with his entire fleet including about 20 hino's just like the one your looking at ,and I took over all his former contracts .Anyways ,those trucks ran very very hard about 100,000 km a year ,often stuffed with 12000 lbs worth of diesel engines in the back .I had one truck leave me stranded as the hanger bearing exploded and no parts were available for at least a month as the parts had to come from japan .I cant blame the truck for that .I don't know what else to say ,other than there isn't anything bad to say about hino trucks .I am sure if you did a google search ,you will find mostly the same good service has been had by the millions of other hino truck owners in the world .
Old 08-25-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbthims View Post
not sure about the US ,but we have had them in Canada at least since 1983 when I worked at the dealership as a mechanic .They have always been a very trouble free truck ,can remember doing only 2 clutches ,2 complete wiring harnesses [the driver spilled his coffee directly on the fuse box which was under the coffee holders in the very early ones ] ,a few starters ,and honestly very little else .I owned a truck-trailer repair shop in the 90's ,and one of my customers went bankrupt so I ended up with his entire fleet including about 20 hino's just like the one your looking at ,and I took over all his former contracts .Anyways ,those trucks ran very very hard about 100,000 km a year ,often stuffed with 12000 lbs worth of diesel engines in the back .I had one truck leave me stranded as the hanger bearing exploded and no parts were available for at least a month as the parts had to come from japan .I cant blame the truck for that .I don't know what else to say ,other than there isn't anything bad to say about hino trucks .I am sure if you did a google search ,you will find mostly the same good service has been had by the millions of other hino truck owners in the world .
Thank you so much! That's what I was looking for. Are the 5.3 Isuzu have a good reputation? I've seen some with 300k and some with just a little over 100k that are blown.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember reading somewhere that the Isuzu 5.3 was a 300,000 motor before major rebuild was needed.

Drove an old Hino in the early 90's. Not exactly fast, actually it was an auto and SLOW. But it went everywhere, got decent gas mileage (fuel was like $1.30 a gallon) and was absolutely reliable. Great little truck. The other truck we had at the time was an International, we fought over the Hino.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my fleet had every one go to 500,000 km before I sold my companies and retired in 2000 ,oil changes @15,000 km ,never touched the engines,trannies,rear ends .I still see some of my trucks on the road and the guy I sold them to used them for several years before he replaced them .
Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I crazy not to buy this truck for 8k? I think he took it off CL because he is trading something for it next week. I just don't think the angle of the dump is steep enough to dump mulch and leaves easily.