Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

A loaner policy that makes sense to me.

Closing the deal on a zero turn and asked my dealer about his loaner policy if or it needs repair which is going to take some time.

Dealer said if you are a commercial user and it cannot be fixed in 24 hours we give you a loaner. If you are consumer user and we cannot get it back to you in less than one week, we give you a loaner. However, if a consumer is in a tight spot (for example, mowing for a wedding) and we have one available, we will give you a loaner even if it is not going to take a week.

Being a consumer, not a commercial buyer I responded "Is that because the commercial customer buys more equipment?" Dealer said no, it is based on "need."

I scratched my head.

He looked at my account and said, you have purchased a lot of equipment here but you don't make your living with the equipment. You are good customer, but you are not going to loose your livelihood without a mower. But a commercial customer, even a guy who has only purchased one piece of machinery from us, is going to loose money without his piece of equipment, so he needs a loaner if the repair is going to take longer than 24 hours.

The 7 day rule for consumer is also based on need. At 7 days a consumer's lawn would get behind, so he would "need" a loaner.

Makes sense to me.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That does make sense, if a commercial guy is out of a mower for a day he is behind
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Idont know why they give out loaners to anyone. If new equiptment fails to the point they cant fix it in a timely matter it should be replaced
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Idont know why they give out loaners to anyone. If new equiptment fails to the point they cant fix it in a timely matter it should be replaced
That's pretty much my feelings on it as long as it is clearly a manu defect and not misuse/abuse.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My opinion is a commercial guy should own his own backup machines.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Screw that salesman/store,who the hell do they think they are deciding who gets a loaner and who doesn't based on commercial vs homeowner! They product cost the same no matter how it is used so there logic stinks.Definitely would not purchase there based on there dumb logic.Amazing how dumb stores can be in making up this stuff to a potential customer...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

so i spend 10k and you spend 10k on a mower from the same store,but because one of us is commercial that person gets special treatment.You are kidding me right!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
so i spend 10k and you spend 10k on a mower from the same store,but because one of us is commercial that person gets special treatment.You are kidding me right!!!!
Chances are neither pro or h/o would get a loaner around me unless they were a big timer
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
and in 3 years the commercial client will be looking at a new mower and a consumer probably won't look at one for at least 10
also i take it you would be happy for your boss to tell you to take a week off without pay because he has some equipment in for repair but the mechanic has decided to give the replacement equipment to a home owner who wont use it for the next week anyway
Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Loaner policy; that's the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iand View Post
and in 3 years the commercial client will be looking at a new mower and a consumer probably won't look at one for at least 10
also i take it you would be happy for your boss to tell you to take a week off without pay because he has some equipment in for repair but the mechanic has decided to give the replacement equipment to a home owner who wont use it for the next week anyway
From the posts here it looks like there is room to disagree. But in my opinion you hit the nail on the head. There are only so many loaners available. For less than a week repairs, the consumer is going to have the loaner sitting at home. But the commercial guy is going to be using it to keep his business going. Need.

I should note that the loaner policy discussion was in the context of my never buying another zero turn and it lasting 10, 15 or 20 years at least.

As a consumer customer, buying a commercial machine, there is no expectation the machine that I purchase will need drastic repairs for many years, unless I abuse it. So, yes, if a new machine were out of commission for serious repairs I would be pissed if that happened. And, as a lawyer, it better be made good reasonably quick or its on.

But, aside from that unusual scenario, loaners are a courtesy, and the dealer is entitled to not provide one or have his own policy on who gets the loaners if he does, as long as the dealer does not discriminate on some unlawful grounds (i.e., only Baptists get a loaner).

But, 10 or 15 years from now when it is out of commission for a serious repair, I will not get a loaner unless I need it, that is, unless I will be without a mower for a week.

Room to disagree, but there will a finite number of loaners available. But I think the guy who makes his living should get it soon enough to keep his business going tomorrow and I as a consumer should get one soon enough to keep my lawn mowed once a week. Need.

And the loaner is a courtesy, not a right.

Why would I want or insist on a courtesy loaner sitting at my farm collecting dust if it means the lawn professional will have to do without it and his employee is out of work and cannot put food on the table. Just because I want what someone else gets just to say I got it? Really?

But I guess someone will always want what everyone else gets, even when it is a given as a courtesy, and even when they don't need it and the other person does. Different strokes for different folks, that's what makes this country great (and not so great). But when this mind set comes in to see me for advice, I say yes you may have a legal right to that position, but if you want to pursue it I'm not your guy, here is the number of someone who might be better suited to your mind set.