Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Getting out the popcorn. This will be interesting....
Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just gonna let him keep looking like an idiot and not add fuel to the fire. I would say he's hot enough already lol.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
Hey stupid.Did you read what I wrote you ****** bag.Go back and try reading it a little sloooower this time.I am giving a scenario between COMMERCIAL AND HOMEOWNER you dumb prick.
That kind of rant makes you look bad dude.

You are in the vast minority on this subject, especially here on this forum where guys make a living with their Z's. If you can't understand why guys who make their money with their Z shouldn't go first when it comes to who gets the loaner, either your simply not interested in being logical, or you are very selfish.

Scenario for you to ponder-
Your wife (or girlfriend or whatever is appropriate) is shot in the chest and rushed to the emergency room, barely clinging to life. Another person arrives at the same time who's also been shot, but a bit more of a peripheral shot. Still serious though. They take that person first. Now, how are you gonna feel about that? Both need immediate attention, but yours is a more serious case due to the immanent threat of loss of life. You know full well that you would be angry.

It's the same as the situation between a HO and a LCO where service and/or loaner's are concerned. Both need help, both paid the same for their machine, but only one's livelihood depends on getting it right away.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've come to peace lol.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is my stance on this. I feel that the loaner should be a first come first served issue no matter who it is. When it comes down to it both customers bought a commercial machine and spent the same money to obtain it. I also run a mowing business so I understand the importance of regular on time service to my customers which is why I'm a responsible business owner and I have bought more than one lawn mower (Who cuts grass, owns a legit business and only has one mower?) Now if I'm talking to the service writer and Joe Blow homeowner is behind me in line and his only mower is down I would be glad to let him take it and I would use my backup machine.

Another thing I do most repairs myself and only go to the dealer for warranty work or internal engine repairs. I have yet to wait more than 2 days for a repair at either dealer I use, maybe y'all need to find better dealers.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That kind of rant makes you look bad dude.

You are in the vast minority on this subject, especially here on this forum where guys make a living with their Z's. If you can't understand why guys who make their money with their Z shouldn't go first when it comes to who gets the loaner, either your simply not interested in being logical, or you are very selfish.

Scenario for you to ponder-
Your wife (or girlfriend or whatever is appropriate) is shot in the chest and rushed to the emergency room, barely clinging to life. Another person arrives at the same time who's also been shot, but a bit more of a peripheral shot. Still serious though. They take that person first. Now, how are you gonna feel about that? Both need immediate attention, but yours is a more serious case due to the immanent threat of loss of life. You know full well that you would be angry.

It's the same as the situation between a HO and a LCO where service and/or loaner's are concerned. Both need help, both paid the same for their machine, but only one's livelihood depends on getting it right away.

A good businessman wouldn't count on a loaner he would already be prepared with his own. Chuck in a truck, weekend warrior, firemen or part time mower is the one that doesn't have a backup machine and not having loaners for the ones who don't prepare is a good way to weed out the lowballers.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or there is none avalable. Here its usually a min of 1 week wait time.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
A good businessman wouldn't count on a loaner he would already be prepared with his own. Chuck in a truck, weekend warrior, firemen or part time mower is the one that doesn't have a backup machine and not having loaners for the ones who don't prepare is a good way to weed out the lowballers.
If that's how you really feel, then you are being too arrogant. Just because someone might not have a back-up unit doesn't make them a lowballer. That kind of statement is just stupid bro. Not everyone can afford to have a back-up machine right off. Maybe they're still kinda new to the business and they have already spent all they could afford to without getting in too deep, to get a top of the line machine so that they wouldn't have break downs so often and could provide quality work and not have to worry anymore. Maybe it's a guy with multiple crews and he needs every single unit up and running, and he already has his back-up unit in the field trying to make up for rain days.

I am a part timer where cutting alone is concerned. I do have a back up for all my machines regardless of what they are for. That fact doesn't make me any better than anyone who doesn't have that luxury, nor does it make anyone who doesn't a lowballer or anything else negative. It just means I have been blessed with enough opportunities to make enough to have accumulated them over time.

I seriously doubt you started off with back ups for everything, or even a back up mower for that matter. Did that make you a lowballer? Nope.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
If that's how you really feel, then you are being too arrogant. Just because someone might not have a back-up unit doesn't make them a lowballer. That kind of statement is just stupid bro. Not everyone can afford to have a back-up machine right off. Maybe they're still kinda new to the business and they have already spent all they could afford to without getting in too deep, to get a top of the line machine so that they wouldn't have break downs so often and could provide quality work and not have to worry anymore. Maybe it's a guy with multiple crews and he needs every single unit up and running, and he already has his back-up unit in the field trying to make up for rain days.

I am a part timer where cutting alone is concerned. I do have a back up for all my machines regardless of what they are for. That fact doesn't make me any better than anyone who doesn't have that luxury, nor does it make anyone who doesn't a lowballer or anything else negative. It just means I have been blessed with enough opportunities to make enough to have accumulated them over time.

I seriously doubt you started off with back ups for everything, or even a back up mower for that matter. Did that make you a lowballer? Nope.
You are correct about multiple backups and the lack of when I started out. I quickly learned that they are needed. Day one I had a 52" WB and a 21" Toro. I considered the Toro a backup as I only had a few lawns. I then had a cheap Stihl trimmer that fouled a plug while using it. This thing wouldn't start for anything. I had to load up and go to the dealer to get a new plug so I could finish the job. While I was there I also bought a new trimmer. That day I learned the lesson of owning at least 2 of everything. This is something that most businessmen get. This Idea that one guy is more important than another just because he spends more money is BS.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's not about spending more money. It's about who actually needs the loaner more.

What I said in an earlier post about who spends more is absolutely true where dealers are concerned. Is it BS that they treat someone that way? Apparently to you, and to be honest, to me at times (I'll explain below), but it is why most dealers give a loaner to a pro before a HO.

Being that mowing is only part of my business I don't rack up near the hours on my Z as other LCO's around me do that do nothing but lawn care/mowing. I get treated like a HO by my dealer most of the time. He doesn't know what all I do and since he sees my machine with low hours in excellent condition, he assumes I am just a HO with a large chunk of land or something, instead of a guy that takes great care of all his stuff and has other work besides just mowing. I've tried to explain what all I do and how I operate my business to him, and what my needs are, but he doesn't seem to get it. The guy that used to own the place knew me and treated me a lot better. I guess this guy will learn too, that is if I don't switch brands before then. Most of the time I just roll with it and don't mind not getting one of his loaners, because there are guys that do business with him that are a lot busier than I am with the mowing end of things, and I wouldn't want to cut one of them off from the chance to keep their accounts caught up. I take a loaner when they have one no one is using because it always seems to light a fire under their feet to get mine fixed so they can have their loaner back to give to someone else, but I just use my other machine if they don't.