Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Fall/winter is coming! offer more services?

well fall and winter is right around the corner! i cut around 25-30 lawns on the side of my full time job. yes its very hard to keep up with both i keeping hoping that all of this will pay off one day hopefully this will be my full time profession. i cut almost every evening and all day saturday and some on sundays sometime. my problem is that when fall and winter comes most of my business will be done. i bought a walker mower in hope of some leaf jobs. but i want more. Could i set up a seeding and aerating system to help make more money? i have no problem with saving up the cash for more commercial equipment that it will take to do the job. i picked up a basic drum/spike aerator and just a basic push seeder. if i start getting the jobs ill look for more bigger and nicer unit like a ryan or lesco walk behind aerator. my lawns are mid-high end residential and most have been asking about seeding and such. i dont have much knowledge in this but want to learn. Is it good to run just the basic scotts program or am i just pissing in the wind so to say. i really dont know when to seed or aerate. most will laugh but i really am interested in doing this. any help and info is appreciated! also im located in upstate SC if that helps!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Very good question. Winter income is especially challenging for those of us in the south where snow plowing isn't an option.

An inexpensive idea is to start taking note of the future needs of all your customers. Many will need something whether it is bush or branch trimming, flower bed clean-up, additional mulch, etc. Maybe some light landscaping. I try to contact all of them in mid-fall or so and try to line up more work for the slower months.

My customers are not on year-long contracts but I'm going to try to extend services on as many of them as possible. For example, try set it up where you still go out there every 2 weeks and spend the same amount of time as you would have mowing. In the off months you could weed as needed, maybe rake, maybe clean out the gutters, etc. Let them know that this would be to their advantage otherwise come spring there will be a lot to do at once plus it won't look real good over the winter. You could tell them that if nothing needs to be done then you won't bill them.

Your other ideas may be good as well but this idea won't cost you.

Jerry
Old 09-13-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like your Walker Mower has a bagger unit on it. If that's the case shop for their front mount dethatcher & advertise that. Here in Central Florida i charge $249+ to do 1/5 acre parcel. It's really a great way to do it 'cause you're sucking it up as you rake. Last year I was dong 55 gallon drum bags but this time I'm thinking of a rubbermaid type bin that I can back up to and dump easily then dump over the side of the truck.
Afterward you'd want to overseed with annual rye so you can keep mowing them thru the winter. You don't get snow there do you?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Start offering junk removal service!

You can make very good money doing this service. Your truck and trailer combination would be a perfect fit for this...

Check out www.junkremovalstartup.com
Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Man that sounds like a great way to make some extra money and a good service to offer, none of my customers have asked about dethaching, but is there really a lot of work to do with that? If so ill be in the market for a attachment for the walker. Maybe I can pick up some new clients that way or some one shot deals would be fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Besides the front mount (was used for $75) I also have a Husqvarna power rake but it's a chore to use, needless to say I prefer the Walker unit. First mow bag it fairly short, not scalping just short so your not spending so much time going round & round raking what might just be dead grass blades. It's truly a solo operation. I'm wanting to try the Mantis dethatcher unit for kicks. Most of these lawns are only 1/8 acre of actual grass. This way I can maneuver freely & then suck it up with the mower. The only way u could get away with hand raking the loosened thatch into trash cans is if it's cut short enough.
Posted via Mobile Device