Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Azalea Infestations in da Pacific Northwest?

Hey there,

I've noticed that there has been huge infestations in the Azaleas in my part of the city.

The Azaleas start to yellow during the hot months, and they are infested with small, black, winged insects that secrete their blackish excrement on the undersides of leaves. They call that honeydew?

Anyway, is this just in the Pacific Northwest, or SW Washington specifically? Or is this an issue others have come across? I'd like some advice on how best to take care of this.

Thanks, LCO's!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have similar issues here with lace bugs. I like a systemic since it is far easier than spraying the undersides of the leaves, especially if the azaleas have been sheared. Probably need to treat again next year just before the insects show up. They can be a problem in the same area for several years. http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic2051.html
Old 08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Azalea Lace Bugs are a common problem especially when Azaleas are planted in sunny locations. This is because most of their natural predators don't do well in the sun. Some good management techniques are in this article.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7428.html

Alway try to incorporate different varieties of flowering plants throughout the landscape. Not only will your clients love the color, but flowering plants also provide nectar for many predator insects.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it happens this time of year. You'll see leaf drop too from it. I've seen some almost look dead from it. They'll generally recover, but may not bloom as well while under stress. Systemic is the best solution.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, fellows from the East Coast!

I have indeed ID'ed it as a lacebug infestation. All throughout my neighborhood, with eyes peeled for other parts of my city as well.

Last question: do you think I should apply the systemic now, or wait for the early Spring? Probably both?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure of the timing there, here they have already done about all the damage they are going to. If they are still present in large numbers you could fog them with a contact insecticide. It's a little tricky. Use a blower right behind the tip of the sprayer. It will atomize the spray and achieve good coverage easier than trying to spray up to get the underside of the leaves. Mist will drift like crazy though. Or could use dedicated fogger if you have one. Usually don't show up until June around here so early Spring may be premature.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lace bug problem last year with the azaleas in my yard and did two treatments with insecticidal soap and it seemed to work well. I bought a systemic to use this spring but I didn't have a problem with them at all this year so I never ended up using it. My azaleas look great this year.