Register free!

Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Battery Operated Controllers

It was brought to my attention a couple of months back that there are far more TBOS, IBOC, Nodes and Pucks being installed than in recent years. One supplier that i spoke to yesterday said that his sales were double of last year by July 1.

I see this trend as an effort to mitigate wire issues via abandonment.

While it works well enough to get water back on the ground, what is gonna happen when the valve box is covered over and out of sight. What will be required to find the valve?

I'd like to hear some opines, options and theories.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
It was brought to my attention a couple of months back that there are far more TBOS, IBOC, Nodes and Pucks being installed than in recent years. One supplier that i spoke to yesterday said that his sales were double of last year by July 1.

I see this trend as an effort to mitigate wire issues via abandonment.

While it works well enough to get water back on the ground, what is gonna happen when the valve box is covered over and out of sight. What will be required to find the valve?

I'd like to hear some opines, options and theories.
I like the node I'm sure a decent detector will pick the battery and pinch clamps up
Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I like the node I'm sure a decent detector will pick the battery and pinch clamps up
What kind of detector are you thinking of?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The kind most of us don't have in the truck a metal detector....
Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The kind most of us don't have in the truck a metal detector....
I have one in the truck. What makes you think that will work?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just visited a HOA we acquired, its about a year old and there is NO field wiring. All valves are spread out to the area they serve with Nodes, DDCWP and TBOS.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Metal detecting is kind of hobbie of mine I have a Garrett At pro with noise canceling head phones if their is metal in the ground it will find it. It will tell me what kind of metal and how deep with more than reasonable accuracy. I trace wire with it and can find a valve in no time. I can also trace poly if I snake a snake in it. What it will not do is find faults in wire but it will find a node in no time flat. I have different coils for it. Ah I do admit though I never had to look for a node
Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are trendy in small subdivisions that are HOA controlled systems. I think the main reason is they bail out builders who don't think or care to run sleeves in these small communities so they have to multi tap the main water supply in tons of places. Instead of installing irrigation dedicated to each individual home, for some reason this has become a new trend. I can't really figure it out other than there must be some type of money grab that the HOA's can charge and make off of controlling the entire community. They are a pita to deal with all the way across the board, but mainly because in these communities you can't remotely control a main controller. It's a nightmare to service small subdivisions that have 15 or so of these things spread around and then they generally all have separate cutoffs and backflows they operate on as well.

They also have a tendency to flake out quickly.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Metal detecting is kind of hobbie of mine I have a Garrett At pro with noise canceling head phones if their is metal in the ground it will find it. It will tell me what kind of metal and how deep with more than reasonable accuracy. I trace wire with it and can find a valve in no time. I can also trace poly if I snake a snake in it. What it will not do is find faults in wire but it will find a node in no time flat. I have different coils for it. Ah I do admit though I never had to look for a node
Could you try to find one and let us know how well it works?

Here is another request, we are trying to find a way to locate 2-wire decoders. Maybe you and Garret can find them?

Should be easy enough if Garret is all you say he is.

Thanks Stillwater
Old 08-23-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know of only 1 node on a property we have but if I remember correctly its not buired its in a thickly planted bed I can hold the detector over it mabey not a real test, what kind of detector is in your truck?