Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

What ZTR?

I've got 28 yards almost positive I've got 7 app properties that will each be mowed weekly coming up in November .. I've got to pick out a ZTR... I'm looking at the Badboy outlaw , Husqvarna low grade commercial, or the gravely . Which ever I also want a bagging system.. I've been mowing for 5-6 years on the side but recently a friend and I have started a lawn care business. We're going about it the right way . Slow and very thought out.. We're gearing up for next season . I'm pretty sure we can retain all my customers and were gonna hit the city and subdivisions .. Any insight will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I have recently started my business also, I started out on a low grade gravely mower which was a decent starting point other than the fact it was a few years old. I was looking to get a newer mower this spring to have a 2nd mower to really speed up our lawns and I was looking at the bad boys which were very tough mowers even on the lower end. I went to a dealer to inquire and they also had simplicity's. I got it on a deal with it being last of the previous years model and without a doubt the best decision ever. I purchased it because their commercial Ztr was very heavy duty and was half the price of some of the other mowers I looked at. The best part was the cut quality was outstanding because the whole deck sits on rollers therefore every yard I cut looks its absolute best. Just thought I'd share my mower opinions. The only next mower ill get is another simplicity
Old 08-23-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think Gravely makes one of the best.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in business since 2007. I bought my first new mower this year. Been running used mowers since day one. I bought the Bad Boy Outlaw XP with the 36 horse Vanguard. It is unbelievable. I cuts, mows, and has as much power as my Kubota diesel. I thought Bad Boy made junk that Tractor Supply sold. Was I ever wrong. The price is what got me looking. I have 50 hours on mine and absolutely love it. The Nascar race is in town this week so we had to get done before the crowd got in town. We mowed 36 lawns in two days. I couldn't be more happy with my Bad Boy. Next year I will purchase a Stander to replace my 15 year old Great Dane.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All machines are good, some shine better than others. I would go out and demo a few different brands. I have a mix of machines from z's to wb.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use the husqvarna mz5225 it is a great entry level commercial mower. Husqvarna had really stepped up there game when it comes to there ztr's.
13 Husqavarna 323
Accelerator 4.2 cu
7x16 Sure-Trac open trailer
http://www.360lawncarenc.com/
Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastbama View Post
I've got 28 yards almost positive I've got 7 app properties that will each be mowed weekly coming up in November .. I've got to pick out a ZTR... I'm looking at the Badboy outlaw , Husqvarna low grade commercial, or the gravely . Which ever I also want a bagging system.. I've been mowing for 5-6 years on the side but recently a friend and I have started a lawn care business. We're going about it the right way . Slow and very thought out.. We're gearing up for next season . I'm pretty sure we can retain all my customers and were gonna hit the city and subdivisions .. Any insight will be greatly appreciated
So you were working cutting lawns for money going on 6 years and never paid tax? WOW I guess when you don't register with the state, it doesn't matter.....
Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
So you were working cutting lawns for money going on 6 years and never paid tax? WOW I guess when you don't register with the state, it doesn't matter.....
You are absolutely correct: I paid taxes at the my day job where I was a NHLA lumber inspector ... I cut grass on the side just because I love mowing wether it be my own lawn.. I was also in charge of 25 Mexicans whom were illegal. so yea I thought I would keep that little cash to myself... I've been working since I was 14 never drawn unemployment so I took a little.. Anywho, Thanks y'all for responding .. I think y'all have really help my decision... I'm a Husqvarna guy: won a mower 8 years ago in a chili challenge lol it made me tons of crash , but she just couldn't hold up any longer ... I've got Husqvarna back packs,6 of their weed eaters and 2 edgers .. But I really like those bad boy mowers.. Btw other than the outlaw which of the lower grade badboys is pretty good ... I'm LLC now with the state
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastbama View Post
You are absolutely correct: I paid taxes at the my day job where I was a NHLA lumber inspector ... I cut grass on the side just because I love mowing whether it be my own lawn.. I was also in charge of 25 Mexicans whom were illegal. so yea I thought I would keep that little cash to myself... I've been working since I was 14 never drawn unemployment so I took a little.. Anyhow, Thanks y'all for responding .. I think y'all have really help my decision... I'm a Husqvarna guy: won a mower 8 years ago in a chili challenge lol it made me tons of crash , but she just couldn't hold up any longer ... I've got Husqvarna back packs,6 of their weed eaters and 2 edgers .. But I really like those bad boy mowers.. Btw other than the outlaw which of the lower grade badboys is pretty good ... I'm LLC now with the state
Posting stuff like this can easily get you into deep water.

If you have Husky now, might as well go to Lowe's and get their sweet looking ztr they have on sale.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
I've been in business since 2007. I bought my first new mower this year. Been running used mowers since day one. I bought the Bad Boy Outlaw XP with the 36 horse Vanguard. It is unbelievable. I cuts, mows, and has as much power as my Kubota diesel. I thought Bad Boy made junk that Tractor Supply sold. Was I ever wrong. The price is what got me looking. I have 50 hours on mine and absolutely love it. The Nascar race is in town this week so we had to get done before the crowd got in town. We mowed 36 lawns in two days. I couldn't be more happy with my Bad Boy. Next year I will purchase a Stander to replace my 15 year old Great Dane.
I've had a Bad boy Lightning (which was replaced by the Outlaw) for about 5 years now and love it. I too was really surprised when I went to a BB dealer and saw the entire lineup, because like you, I was unaware of the fact that the BB lineup starts with the mower TS carries, and goes up from there. (By the way, the BB mower that TS carries is a very well built mower and a great value at that price point). If your experience is anything like mine, you'll be more than happy with your Outlaw.
Stan