Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, i was really nice. I can't say i did or didn't close the gate. I can say its not a habit to leave gates open for me.. but who knows what happend in this case. Nobody is perfect. I didn't argue it with the customer, didn't try to save the customer from cancelling either.. i just apologized more than once.. I didn't really know what to say, i felt bad that the guy had to chase the dog all over the neighborhood... thats the last thing anybody wants to do when they get home from work.. i can not blame them for being mad and cancelling to be honest. I am glad they got the dog back because if not it could have been MUCH more of a problem if the dog got lost and it was my fault. I can tell she wanted to keep using my service, she said i do really good work. but her husband is "livid" and doesn't want me back. they are just letting me know this after 2 weeks. lol. mabee they had to find someone else first. Honestly, just one less bi-weekly i have to deal with.. I was out there today way to long for just 3 damn overgrown yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post

So maybe you closed the gate, maybe you didn't, still the best thing to end it on as good a note as possible.
Maybe even say well I am really sorry but if there's ever anything I can do, you are free to call anytime.
Have a nice day, and walk away.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

OP dont even sweat it. If they fire u bc of that they are not even worth it. Itd b diff if you were a repeat offender but first time? You got to be kidding me.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate that you lost an account over this. Seems like avery petty thing to terminate service over. Makes me wonder, if the the new account wanted you to get the property back in good shape and then wanted a reason to let the slacker husband do it again. I've bee there several times.
A few weeks ago, I had a terrible day, the heat got to me and I made several mistakes. The humidity and heat are back, and even the best of us will miss something or overlook something that you always do. You might be better off if they were that sketchy.

Last edited by sehitchman; 08-23-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Homeowner should have checked gate. It ain't your fault
Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it was a customer in your neck of the woods off old cartersville. it sucks to loose one so close by. however, your right.. I also think they might have wanted to find somebody cheaper. It was fairly easy, $50 every two weeks and it took me 30 to 40 minutes. The house was for sale from day one so i was expecting to not have it long anyway.

on a positive note, started me a new customer today, and one of my estimates from 2 months ago that went with somebody else is ready to give me a chance. they need full maintenance, which should mean lots of work for me at one place which is always a big plus.. it turned out to be a crappy day, looks like its looking up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
I hate that you lost an account over this. Seems like avery petty thing to terminate service over. Makes me wonder, if the the new account wanted you to get the property back in good shape and then wanted a reason to let the slacker husband do it again. I've bee there several times.
A few weeks ago, I had a terrible day, the heat got to me and I made several mistakes. The humidity and heat are back, and even the best of us will miss something or overlook something that you always do. You might be better off if they were that sketchy.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, she said "i'm letting you go"? How did the firing go?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have those stories beat. I had a customer who kept 2 pits in a kennel and one day when I was trimming.. one got out of the kennel. Not sure if then dog was running straight at me to play or to bite..but it got a trimmer full throttle right in the face. She came outside and instantly told me to never step foot on her lawn again. I love animals so a big part of me felt awful.. but I would of done it again if I had to.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You weed whacked a dogs face?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

she called up this a.m. before i headed out.. told me that she wouldn't need me back out. I said, sure.. no problem.. I figured they sold the house finally or whatever. Then she went on about the gate, and her husband being pissed off. I guess it was goood to know she was happy with my work and would have given me a chance, but her husband said no go.. They were strange from the get go... they couldn't do paypal or write me a check because they only deal with cash. the husband looked like he just got out of the pen. I remember back when I gave him my shrub trimming price of $85.00 which included dump fee which i thought was more than fair for what they had, and i thought he was gonna freak out on me. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
So, she said "i'm letting you go"? How did the firing go?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranker022 View Post
I have those stories beat. I had a customer who kept 2 pits in a kennel and one day when I was trimming.. one got out of the kennel. Not sure if then dog was running straight at me to play or to bite..but it got a trimmer full throttle right in the face. She came outside and instantly told me to never step foot on her lawn again. I love animals so a big part of me felt awful.. but I would of done it again if I had to.
You didn't "have to" the first time. It's good you got fired.