Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looking for input on this truck

been looking for a truck for awhile, came upon this and looking for input as to pros and cons, going to see it tomorrow. I will be hauling dirt and gravel and towing a 20ton tag to tow my jd 160 excavator.
thanks
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4568545
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
been looking for a truck for awhile, came upon this and looking for input as to pros and cons, going to see it tomorrow. I will be hauling dirt and gravel and towing a 20ton tag to tow my jd 160 excavator.
thanks
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4568545

A C7 Cat engine would not be what I would want in that truck and at 335 horse it would be maxed.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had no experience with the c-7 but have heard many rumors that it is a 200k engine at best. Does seem to be a little light on the hp as well.

Also is that the original bed on that truck? Something looks a little off on it like possibly it is a converted road tractor.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Air ride suspension is not so great for a dump truck, like someone else said probably a converted road tractor. Walking beam suspension is good for a dump or dirt truck. The 8ll that it has is a perfect trans for a dump.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The C7 is a med duty engine. It's service life is rated for a med duty application so if used in a heavy duty application it will have a shortened life span.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not consider that truck for your purpose. Air ride as stated is not a good idea for off road applications, although the Pete 4 bag is better than the KW 8 bag off road, still not a great suspension for this application. I had a 4 bag air in a 378 Pete pulling a side dump. I don't like the short bed. Pulling a 160 with a tag trailer is a load. I would go with a 16' bed to max your payload on the truck and also to have a longer more stable towing platform. Although you guys on the East Coast can get by with less hp than we can, I would opt for more power. Your 160 likely weighs around 37K and your trailer about 10K, if you where to pull that kind of weight with that engine, I would want a lot gears. Although the 8LL is a good dump truck tranny off road, with this application of dump trucking and heavy over the road pulling I would not consider it.

I would look for a heavier spec truck, with a longer bed but that's based on my Out West experience which may not be completely applicable to you guys Out East.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input you guys reaffirmed what I was thinking. I have been tyrying to find a 400+hp tandem axel dump that isn't crazy expensive but in the northeast very hard to do.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that truck is so bad and it seems about right for the money? The C7 in a tandem wouldn't be my ideal choice. I don't have a problem with the length, it would be very maneuverable. I would like a heavier front.

First place I worked had a Pete quad that was 300 horse with a 8LL and it seemed fine but realize that was a few years ago now...
Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Just my 2 cents, horse power isn't everything. It is gearing that gets you around the job site. I've found that for me a tandem is the right size. I can get around on tight sites but haul enough to make worth hauling. If I need a lot hauled, I find it's cheaper to hire it. That being said, my truck now is tandem, geared low and 475 hp.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a F650 bobtail dump with the c7 behind a allison 6 speed. Was a good little truck to tow around my 14K tag trailer with skid steer but that was about the the capacity. what you are asking the c7 to tow and haul would be to much unless you dont mind going 25-35 up any type of incline with the flashers on.