Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs down Frustrated with John Deere and my local dealer

I posted several weeks ago in this thread (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410002) about the problems I was having with my 2013 JD WG36A's transmission.

I picked up my machine at the local JD dealer this morning after they had it for about a week. The parts and labor were covered under warranty, as my unit only has 28 hours on it), but what John Deere included in the notes section of the service invoice concerns me. It says, "Deere does not recommend Velky. If using, do not shift on the go and do not use fifth gear with Velky." The official diagnosis was a stretched chain in the gearbox and broken shifter pin.

I have never shifted on the fly with or without a Velky, so that is irrelevant. What concerns me is that JD is warning me not to use a Velky with this WG36A walk-behind mower, which they overtly advertise as a commercial machine, both in their literature and through their sales force. A walk-behind that can't handle a Velky (I weigh 210 pounds) without the transmission failing in 28 hours on very level ground is simply not commercial equipment. Furthermore, why have five gears on this machine if the manufacturer does not recommend using a Velke? I doubt even Usain Bolt could keep up on foot behind this machine in fifth gear.

If John Deere doesn't recommend using a Velke with these units, they need to do two things. First, don't call this a commercial mower. Second, educate its dealers to advise buyers not to use a Velke with this machine. I wasn't originally going to buy a Velke when I purchased this mower a couple of months ago, but the salesperson recommended one and ensured me that this was a commercial JD machine that would handle it with no problems. In my area, well over half of the walk behinds (including belt drives) that you see have Velkes attached.

I am going to speak in person with the general manager of the JD dealership on Monday and ask for a refund on the X2 Velke that I purchased, as I am worried that JD will not honor any additional warranty work if I continue to use it. I am also not thrilled that I now have two large holes drilled in my almost-new mower.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 08-24-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is it a peerless transmission? If it is that is what was on our old gravely pro-50. We used a velke on it daily for 3200 hours. In those 3200 hours i replaced the trans once at a cost of $200 for a new trans. My dad is 200 pounds and I am 240. We also left it in gear on the trailer so it wouldn't move around which is not recommended.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like complete BS to me. Pretty much all commercial belt drive WB's use the same trans.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also if they don't put out, I am told gravely makes their walkbehinds.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, it's the same Peerless 5-speed transmission they use in the smaller Scag and Exmark walk-behinds. I know that Gravelys, John Deeres, and Lesco walk-behinds were made by the same manufacturer in certain years. I just find it disingenuous that JD wouldn't mention anywhere in their product literature or even the specific model's owner's manual that they don't recommend using a Velke, especially considering that JD sells their own sulky.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mind you they use these type of trany's on garden tractors. I'd think your fine.