Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess what my college professor said...

Hello all! Intersting conversation with college my professor today....

I am a Construction Sys. Managment/Civil Engineering major (undecided between the two). We were having a class discussion on life after the degree when I was asked what I would like to do. I simply said "I am very open to the possibility of a career in my degree, and would most likely take a good opportunity. I really love landscaping, however, and that would be my first option if I can make a good living off of it." My teacher then replied, "HA! Landscaping? What are you; worried you will not be able to get a real job?"

You can imagine how I responded. I went on to say something along the lines of "Just because you are tenured and can sit on your *** all day and make money, does not mean a great living can't be made in landscaping involving men and women who love outside work and are not afraid of the word 'work.'"

This brings my to my conversation topic. How many of you guys have college degrees? How many do not? Anyone go against societies views and become a landscaper even with "higher education?" I would love to hear from you guys.
(I in no way meant to offend any college professors or landscapers out there )
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

+1 for a having a degree
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an MBA and I dread the thought of what my life would be like if I had stayed in the corporate world. I'm part-time solo, as I am working on my foreign language teacher licensure presently, but I will still be doing this even once I obtain a position. You can build a great life doing this work as long as you know your numbers inside and out and charge accordingly.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bachelor of science in exercise and sport sciences. I decided about 1/2 way through college I was going to do lawn care maintenance instead. Took all I had to finish school but I did. lol Go Gators!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guess what my college professor said...

Have fun in that class from now on

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

People like that are what is wrong with this country
Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does he even know what landscaping is? Most of the big projects don't get done without a civil engineer. Being able to do design build and stamp your own drawings and specs is a big asset.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds just like a liberal who dosent know or understand the feeling of working for yourself, smelling the fresh air, and getting a bit dirty.
I will have my BBA in Marketing after this semester, and though I may have a career in that field Im always gonna do a bit of Lawn Care. I truley enjoy it.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My son works with me and he has a Civil engineering degree. I don't know yet if he is going to take the business over or move into engineering. We live at the beach and I don't think he is interested in leaving the area (yet). There is definitely more money in this business than there is in engineering in the area we live. Good luck, get that degree and do whatever you want.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a degree in Industrial Electronics, but after spending or should I say wasting too many years working in corporate jobs, I would say go ahead and finish your degree and make sure to get some business classes in there and join the world of self employment as quickly as possible, but make sure you are truly ready it's tough, but well worth it in the end. I just read an article talking about how now those who get in the working world quicker are better off in the long run than those who spend years and years in school only to get out and either not able to get a job or can only get a job making pennies on the dollar, times HAVE changed.