Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

pruning roses

how much would you guys charge for pruning rose bushes? Im at a loss for what to charge. this could land me another mowing client so I kinda don't want to pass on this...
Husqvarna 14" chain saw
Husqvarna 16" chain saw
Husqvarna back pack blower
Polan 14" chain saw
2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd
Single axel trailer with mesh side walls and lift gate
2 back up riding tractors

QuickBooks Pro business software
Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Right now, nothing. Roses shouldn't be pruned this time of year. In late winter I charge my usual hourly rate. Depending on size and condition figure between 5 and 20 plants per hour. If you are dealing with climbers maybe an hour per plant in some cases.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess there should be a minimum. like a set one or two hour minimum?
Husqvarna 14" chain saw
Husqvarna 16" chain saw
Husqvarna back pack blower
Polan 14" chain saw
2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd
Single axel trailer with mesh side walls and lift gate
2 back up riding tractors

QuickBooks Pro business software
Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roses should be pruned 2x per week. The knock out roses can be maintained with hedge trimmers and kept whatever height your want.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dead head 2X a week sure, prune 2x a week no way. Among the more beautiful plants I've seen hedge clippers applied to were loquat and oleander. Made really "nice" meatballs out of them. Not seen anyone try it on roses yet.
Pruning Roses
"Prune roses every spring and destroy all old or diseased plant material. Wear elbow-length gloves that are thick enough to protect your hands from thorns or a clumsy slip, but flexible enough to allow you to hold your tools. Always wear safety goggles; branches can whip back when released.
Start with pruning shears for smaller growth. Use loppers, which look like giant, long-handle shears, for growth that is more than half an inch thick. A small pruning saw is handy, as it cuts on both the push and the pull.
Deadhead religiously and keep beds clean. Every leaf has a growth bud, so removing old flower blossoms encourages the plant to make more flowers instead of using the energy to make seeds. Clean away from around the base of the rosebushes any trimmed debris that can harbor disease and insects.
Late in the season, stop deadheading rugosas so that hips will form on the plants; these can be harvested and dried on screens, away from sunlight, then stored in an airtight container. Stop deadheading all your rose plants 3 to 4 weeks before the first hard frost so as not to encourage new growth at a time when new shoots may be damaged by the cold."
Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Roses should be pruned 2x per week. The knock out roses can be maintained with hedge trimmers and kept whatever height your want.
Wow. I guess they could be maintained with a chainsaw too, but I will not be doing that either. They make this items called Felco's Larry. You should invest in some you would be amazed at what they can do.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get aggravated when I see someone pruning roses with hedge trimmers or recommending it. Good idea if you want your rose bush to look like it wrestled with a bear. Maintaining roses is a learned skill and something that must be cultivated. Make sure you make your cuts at angle so water flows off instead of resting and creating problematic diseases.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Wow. I guess they could be maintained with a chainsaw too, but I will not be doing that either. They make this items called Felco's Larry. You should invest in some you would be amazed at what they can do.
You can prune knock out roses with Felcos and go broke, gas hedge trimmers doesn't hurt them.

I agree traditional roses should be pruned with felcos, and preffrably by the customer and real hard once a year.

Were talking about 2 different creatures.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I shear knockouts all the time. I don't see anything wrong with. Some stuff we hand prune, and some get the shears.