Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Need to buy new mower

Hi All - I am getting ready to buy a new mower and could use a little advice. I currently have a Massey Ferguson Compact tractor that is 4wd and it sticks my front side hill well (but spins a little when I turn up) and it is really heavy and is tearing up the back a bit and the low side of my drain field. I do have some good sized slopes with no danger at the bottom but on one there is no way to turn around at the top and the other there is no way to turn around at the bottom.

I figured I could accomplish a few things by trading. Get something smaller and lighter, get something that is more amenable to attaching a leaf vac, and get something that my wife can drive if she is so inclined.

I have been looking at JD x5xx series and x7xx series. I like the idea of AWD but am not sure that I need it so the 7 series may be overkill. Do you think a true locking rear differential would be adequate to stay on the side hill (call it 25 degrees for argument sake). I also thought about the Kubota GR's because I like diesel's and they are AWD and then I stumbled across the Husqvarna GT48XLS which looked to be a well made, fairly well respected tractor.

So...after all of that, I can probably trade even or better for the JD x5 series, I will have to pay boot on the 7 series. I can't find a used GR on the Kubota so I would have to go new and I can't trade for the Husqvarna and would have to sell my tractor outright which could be a pain.

How about some opinions? ideas? advice? etc.

Thanks all,

Roger W
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

bump bump it
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the money of a 7 series, you could go to a subcompact with 4wd and locking rear. Not to mention it would give you a 3pt hitch for future use.

If you decide to go with something smaller, the Kubota GR does offer AWD.