Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at the dolmar 4 stokes. They are not the most powerful backpack but are awesome for everyday reliability.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUZMAN View Post
Why the 8500? I realize they are more powerful, but not that much more so and the 8500's are about $90 more apiece. Anything on that model I am missing? If they have a more proven track record then the money is worth it but is it?
Where I buy them they're $44 more apiece. And you said it, they're more powerful. I don't spend time scouring as has been talked about many times. I want to blow piles of leaves as fast as possible when I'm not using the walkbehind blower. And for everyday use I use nothing else than the 8500. A few pounds of weight and few more ounces of gas is worth it to me for the speed of getting done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 10-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern grass View Post
Stihl for the win they are comfortable and it will last you a long time
Ditto! Just picked up my new br600 for $499 plus tax. Powerful, light weight and most important comfortable.
Stihl FS70 Trimmer
Echo Blower
Echo Shears
Commercial Spreader
Old 10-06-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Where I buy them they're $44 more apiece. And you said it, they're more powerful. I don't spend time scouring as has been talked about many times. I want to blow piles of leaves as fast as possible when I'm not using the walkbehind blower. And for everyday use I use nothing else than the 8500. A few pounds of weight and few more ounces of gas is worth it to me for the speed of getting done.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've run them both and the 8500 doesn't do anything more than the 7500 in the real world on real debris. Yes, the 7500 scours better and it does matter to most guys who do leaf clean-ups, even if it doesn't to you. If you are leaving crap in the lawn, then you're not doing a thorough job and you can end up losing accounts.

I realize some guys just have to have the biggest, and I am that way at times myself, but I have learned that bigger isn't always better.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've read the posts. While scouring is important to you, if it takes a few seconds more for the 8500 to lift a mat of leaves, which I've yet to have an issue with, I'll deal with it. Not sure what you mean by leaving crap in the lawn, but I've yet to lose an account because of quality work. Customers moved, died, etc... but certainly not because of quality or my blower.

And if/when I go to sell it, I have the biggest and best there is. That will help sell it while getting me the most money back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have your location showing so I'm not sure where you are, but here, there are so many leaves and of so many varieties, that getting them all out can be a PITA at times. Especially certain willow leaves when the lawn is cut at higher heights. The 8500 will leave them stuck down in around the roots of the grass (unless you slow down more to make sure you aren't missing any) where the 7500 (Husky 570 in my case) gets them up and out far better, leaving a much nicer looking lawn. People who live along lake shores pay good money for their property here, and expect them to be left spotless, yet they have the most willows of anyone to deal with.

I also have a couple places that seem to be dumping grounds for every smoker in the county, and again, the 7500/570 gets wet, matted down butts loose much better in tall and/or thick grass than the 580/8500.

One more example that I deal with regularly are parking lot entrances that are on a hill on the road way and drain back towards the building on top of that. There is a constant stream of gravel and sand getting washed into the entrances by rain etc. It can become a real PITA in only one week at some of these drives, and the better scouring power of the 570/7500 really comes in handy for getting wet, matted down dirt and crap loose and moving.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Pennsylvania. We have no shortage of leaves, thick grass, gravel, snow, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More to the point, both big Redmax blowers are awesome. Neither leaves its owner wishing they had spent the money elsewhere.

I do have a question for those saying the stihl br600 only lasted a couple years. Specifically, what failed? Just get hard to start? My curiosity stems from it being the most mechanically comic aged (edit: complicated, love auto correct) of the bunch (Dolmar not included). The very presence of a valve train makes for more stuff to wear out and fail. Or as I suspect, the valve train wears out before the P&C.

I'm also curious about fuel usage. Many claim them to be more efficient. Not my experience with the trimmers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GG-

My BR600 held 47.3 oz of fuel. My Husky 570 holds 74.4 oz of fuel. They would both run right at 1.5 hours at WOT on a tank of fuel, and they did so consistently.

The 600 is a nice light, and powerful blower, but it is nowhere near as comfortable to wear for 8 hours a day like the Husky is. The shoulder harness on the Husky versions are the best out there on BP's right now..... by far where comfort is concerned. I think if guys would take better care of them and actually adjust the valves now and then, they'd have a much better rep than what they seem to get here.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You may well be right. I'm just not sold on a mixed fuel 4-stroke with valves. It's like the worst of both worlds. Extra maintenance and still mix gas. With more parts to fail.
Posted via Mobile Device