Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Question for Walker mower guys in Georgia

I currently have a 2005 MCGHS 18hp / 42". I love the cut but hate having to dump clippings. I also have a Toro Grandstand with mulch kit but it will scalp Bermuda and does not leave as good of cut as Walker.

I was thinking of buying a mulch deck for the Walker and keep GHS for winter leaves and scalping. Do any of you know how much mulch decks are and would they work on the MC? Only other option would be to sell my Walker and buy the MB with mulch deck. But would lose the flexibility to collect and scalp yards.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yet another sucked in by the vantage. Unload the vantage, by a mulch deck for the walker and swap them when you need to. if you have to have 2 mowers, sell the vantage, pick up a used Turf Tracer, and buy the deck. The decks should swap out, but someone who knows walkers better can chime in
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
Yet another sucked in by the vantage. Unload the vantage, by a mulch deck for the walker and swap them when you need to. if you have to have 2 mowers, sell the vantage, pick up a used Turf Tracer, and buy the deck. The decks should swap out, but someone who knows walkers better can chime in

I like the Grandstand for the large weedy yards, but I have to really baby it on the Bermuda. I am in the process of getting rid of those yards and sticking with all high end Bermuda accounts. Does the Turf tracer leave a nice cut on burmuda?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR840 View Post
I like the Grandstand for the large weedy yards, but I have to really baby it on the Bermuda. I am in the process of getting rid of those yards and sticking with all high end Bermuda accounts. Does the Turf tracer leave a nice cut on burmuda?

Much better than the vantage/grandstand, but not a walker cut. Probably one of the best on the market for Bermuda but you own the best cutting Bermuda mower with that walker.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you see this one?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/3990385599.html
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I sure did, I looked at it this morning. Seems like its in decent shape. Do you know what they cost new? Probably $1800-$2200. Dang near as much as a decent walk-behind. I will call this guy Monday.
Toro GrandStand 24hp/48"
Honda 21" HRR216
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FC90 Edger
Stihl FC55 Edger
Stihl HL90 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Redmax EBZ7100 Blower
Redmax EB7001 Blower
Stihl BR420C Blower

www.RagleLawnServices.com
Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR840 View Post
I sure did, I looked at it this morning. Seems like its in decent shape. Do you know what they cost new? Probably $1800-$2200. Dang near as much as a decent walk-behind. I will call this guy Monday.
Going to try and take a look at it today. Hopefully it's ok. Dealer wants $2354 out the door for new one. I got the toro in the shop getting a free update done, will consider looking at Turf Tracers in the future. I guess the MC will hold up as main mower, some guys say I should upgrade to the MT because its more sturdy. Decisions decisions.

Last edited by BCR840; 08-13-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the Walker mulch deck (thanks to ArtLikeLandscapes). I got it for $900. I got it home and checked everything out. It needed oil, a little greese, and went ahead ang got new blades. Also had to put in new shear bolts, they had normal screws that were stripped out. Then replaced the blade hubs, since old ones were a little worn where they didnt have blade on right. It was used commercially and had some rust on it. It cuts good though. Thanks for the help.
Toro GrandStand 24hp/48"
Honda 21" HRR216
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FC90 Edger
Stihl FC55 Edger
Stihl HL90 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Redmax EBZ7100 Blower
Redmax EB7001 Blower
Stihl BR420C Blower

www.RagleLawnServices.com
Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So I guess you have to buy a separate mulch deck for the walker? I run one ztr currently during the growing season and use the walker for a back up. Clippings can be a problem.

We put the ztr up and use the walker for leaves.

Where is the best place to find a mulch deck. It could be good for a small guy like me.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
So I guess you have to buy a separate mulch deck for the walker? I run one ztr currently during the growing season and use the walker for a back up. Clippings can be a problem.

We put the ztr up and use the walker for leaves.

Where is the best place to find a mulch deck. It could be good for a small guy like me.
If you have a GHS deck and want to mulch instead of collecting you have to get another deck. There are some people out there that make a cover/plug for walker decks but I read some mixed reviews.

I found mine on Craig's list. They $2300 new at my dealer for a 42". A little pricey. I have a Grandstand 48" that I mainly use on large rough lawns. Then I use the walker on all my Bermuda lawns. I only need to collect during leaf season, spring, and when scalping bermuda down when it's dormant.

I cut with the mulch deck tonight on 4 yards and it did great. It still stripes bermuda and mower handled better without all the weight in the back. It just leaves such a smooth cut compared to some other mowers. Don't get me wrong, I still love having the option of collecting leaves and clippings but just not all year.