Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
sevensandeights sevensandeights is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mckean, PA
Posts: 26
Kubota ZD326 - mulch kit or Gator G6 blades?

I just picked up a mint condition 2010 ZD326 60" side discharge with 122 hours. I mowed today after about 2 weeks off (was on vacation!) and cut 2-2.5" off of 5" tall grass. The mower handled this with ease but left some serious windrows!

My last mower was a Gravely 152Z 52" deck and factory mulch kit. This mower mulched awesome with no windrows and tiny clippings.

My goal is to limit windrows and control clipping discharge from getting into flower beds and tree rings. Any suggestions on using the mulch kit vs. Gator G6 blades (without or without a homebrew blocking plate)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
G6 blades are made for side discharge and will not work with a mulch kit. Sticking a plate on it with G6 blades will only cause a strip of cut grass on the discharge side and bog the deck down with clippings.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM
sevensandeights sevensandeights is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mckean, PA
Posts: 26
Are you using the G6's? If so, do they decrease windrows but chopping the grass into small pieces?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Hawkshot99 Hawkshot99 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
Are you using the G6's? If so, do they decrease windrows but chopping the grass into small pieces?
I use both G5's, and G6's on my mower. Basically I find that all they do is chop up the clippings smaller than a regular blade. They still discharge the grass out like a regular blade, just smaller clippings.

I used to use a mulch kit on my mower when I got it. If I was only mowing my own lawn I would definitely still have it installed on my mower, however I can mow my lawn whenever it is needed, where as customers are not ok with mowing to often, and in the spring time I struggled to keep up mulching.

What you need to decide is, do you want smaller clippings(than your current setup) and the ability to process larger amounts of grass, or ...
being able to make the clippings disappear, but must mow more frequently and not fall behind like you have experienced already.
__________________
Exmark Viking 48"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
sevensandeights sevensandeights is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mckean, PA
Posts: 26
Do the gator G6 blades chop the clippings enough to prevent windrows? I can control their distribution with careful mowing but want to be sure the small clippings will blend in enough.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
Do the gator G6 blades chop the clippings enough to prevent windrows? I can control their distribution with careful mowing but want to be sure the small clippings will blend in enough.
They do great for side discharge. Just buy a set and try them. I've used the G6 blades all season and don't want to take them off other then to sharpen.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Hawkshot99 Hawkshot99 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
Do the gator G6 blades chop the clippings enough to prevent windrows? I can control their distribution with careful mowing but want to be sure the small clippings will blend in enough.
If you are windrowing cutting 2" off of 5" grass something may be wrong with your mower. That should not challenge a mower, and especially not yours.

If your windrowing with your current blades(Im assuming high lifts), you will windrow with G6's, just smaller clippings making up that windrow.
__________________
Exmark Viking 48"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM
sevensandeights sevensandeights is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mckean, PA
Posts: 26
Maybe my definition of "windrowing" is different than yours. I am mowing with a zero turn so the first pass through uncut grass blows the clippings to the right out the discharge chute into uncut grass. On the return pass I am cutting uncut grass AND the clippings that I just blew into the uncut grass from the previous pass travelling in the opposite direction. The clippings go out the discharge chute and cover the freshly cut grass. If I am cutting thick grass or let it grow too high (I never cut more than 2-3" max) then the clippings collect on the uncut grass - this is what I am calling a windrow. It's not actually a row but rather a blanket of thick clippings that looks ugly.

I am using factory blades as far as I know (no high lifts). The mower handles this without issues - no bogging down and no slowing down of mowing speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
Maybe my definition of "windrowing" is different than yours. I am mowing with a zero turn so the first pass through uncut grass blows the clippings to the right out the discharge chute into uncut grass. On the return pass I am cutting uncut grass AND the clippings that I just blew into the uncut grass from the previous pass travelling in the opposite direction. The clippings go out the discharge chute and cover the freshly cut grass. If I am cutting thick grass or let it grow too high (I never cut more than 2-3" max) then the clippings collect on the uncut grass - this is what I am calling a windrow. It's not actually a row but rather a blanket of thick clippings that looks ugly.
There isn't a blade made that will get rid of excessive clippings on the first pass. The G5 and G6 perform like high lift Gator Blades, which is what they are. The reason so many guys like them (including me) is their ability to get the grass out from under the deck in a hurry and they do chop up the clippings very well.

How many clippings are left after the first pass is dependent on many factors including height of cut, how much grass you're cutting off, deck design, type of grass being cut, how thick the grass is, type and condition of blade, blade speed and many other factors.

Time and again I hear people say they know how to cut grass. And 99.9% of the time they don't have a clue. Sure, anybody can climb on a mower and cut the grass. It's making the grass look good when they're done that's the hard part.

You need to experiment with the different factors that affect discharge to achieve a result that is acceptable to you and your customers.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 AM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There isn't a blade made that will get rid of excessive clippings on the first pass. The G5 and G6 perform like high lift Gator Blades, which is what they are. The reason so many guys like them (including me) is their ability to get the grass out from under the deck in a hurry and they do chop up the clippings very well.

How many clippings are left after the first pass is dependent on many factors including height of cut, how much grass you're cutting off, deck design, type of grass being cut, how thick the grass is, type and condition of blade, blade speed and many other factors.

Time and again I hear people say they know how to cut grass. And 99.9% of the time they don't have a clue. Sure, anybody can climb on a mower and cut the grass. It's making the grass look good when they're done that's the hard part.

You need to experiment with the different factors that affect discharge to achieve a result that is acceptable to you and your customers.
But Richard, it's only grass we're cutting. How hard can it be? LOL

You are SO right.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.06972 seconds with 9 queries