Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota ZD326 - mulch kit or Gator G6 blades?

I just picked up a mint condition 2010 ZD326 60" side discharge with 122 hours. I mowed today after about 2 weeks off (was on vacation!) and cut 2-2.5" off of 5" tall grass. The mower handled this with ease but left some serious windrows!

My last mower was a Gravely 152Z 52" deck and factory mulch kit. This mower mulched awesome with no windrows and tiny clippings.

My goal is to limit windrows and control clipping discharge from getting into flower beds and tree rings. Any suggestions on using the mulch kit vs. Gator G6 blades (without or without a homebrew blocking plate)?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

G6 blades are made for side discharge and will not work with a mulch kit. Sticking a plate on it with G6 blades will only cause a strip of cut grass on the discharge side and bog the deck down with clippings.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you using the G6's? If so, do they decrease windrows but chopping the grass into small pieces?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
Are you using the G6's? If so, do they decrease windrows but chopping the grass into small pieces?
I use both G5's, and G6's on my mower. Basically I find that all they do is chop up the clippings smaller than a regular blade. They still discharge the grass out like a regular blade, just smaller clippings.

I used to use a mulch kit on my mower when I got it. If I was only mowing my own lawn I would definitely still have it installed on my mower, however I can mow my lawn whenever it is needed, where as customers are not ok with mowing to often, and in the spring time I struggled to keep up mulching.

What you need to decide is, do you want smaller clippings(than your current setup) and the ability to process larger amounts of grass, or ...
being able to make the clippings disappear, but must mow more frequently and not fall behind like you have experienced already.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Do the gator G6 blades chop the clippings enough to prevent windrows? I can control their distribution with careful mowing but want to be sure the small clippings will blend in enough.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Do the gator G6 blades chop the clippings enough to prevent windrows? I can control their distribution with careful mowing but want to be sure the small clippings will blend in enough.
They do great for side discharge. Just buy a set and try them. I've used the G6 blades all season and don't want to take them off other then to sharpen.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If you are windrowing cutting 2" off of 5" grass something may be wrong with your mower. That should not challenge a mower, and especially not yours.

If your windrowing with your current blades(Im assuming high lifts), you will windrow with G6's, just smaller clippings making up that windrow.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe my definition of "windrowing" is different than yours. I am mowing with a zero turn so the first pass through uncut grass blows the clippings to the right out the discharge chute into uncut grass. On the return pass I am cutting uncut grass AND the clippings that I just blew into the uncut grass from the previous pass travelling in the opposite direction. The clippings go out the discharge chute and cover the freshly cut grass. If I am cutting thick grass or let it grow too high (I never cut more than 2-3" max) then the clippings collect on the uncut grass - this is what I am calling a windrow. It's not actually a row but rather a blanket of thick clippings that looks ugly.

I am using factory blades as far as I know (no high lifts). The mower handles this without issues - no bogging down and no slowing down of mowing speeds.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Maybe my definition of "windrowing" is different than yours. I am mowing with a zero turn so the first pass through uncut grass blows the clippings to the right out the discharge chute into uncut grass. On the return pass I am cutting uncut grass AND the clippings that I just blew into the uncut grass from the previous pass travelling in the opposite direction. The clippings go out the discharge chute and cover the freshly cut grass. If I am cutting thick grass or let it grow too high (I never cut more than 2-3" max) then the clippings collect on the uncut grass - this is what I am calling a windrow. It's not actually a row but rather a blanket of thick clippings that looks ugly.
There isn't a blade made that will get rid of excessive clippings on the first pass. The G5 and G6 perform like high lift Gator Blades, which is what they are. The reason so many guys like them (including me) is their ability to get the grass out from under the deck in a hurry and they do chop up the clippings very well.

How many clippings are left after the first pass is dependent on many factors including height of cut, how much grass you're cutting off, deck design, type of grass being cut, how thick the grass is, type and condition of blade, blade speed and many other factors.

Time and again I hear people say they know how to cut grass. And 99.9% of the time they don't have a clue. Sure, anybody can climb on a mower and cut the grass. It's making the grass look good when they're done that's the hard part.

You need to experiment with the different factors that affect discharge to achieve a result that is acceptable to you and your customers.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There isn't a blade made that will get rid of excessive clippings on the first pass. The G5 and G6 perform like high lift Gator Blades, which is what they are. The reason so many guys like them (including me) is their ability to get the grass out from under the deck in a hurry and they do chop up the clippings very well.

How many clippings are left after the first pass is dependent on many factors including height of cut, how much grass you're cutting off, deck design, type of grass being cut, how thick the grass is, type and condition of blade, blade speed and many other factors.

Time and again I hear people say they know how to cut grass. And 99.9% of the time they don't have a clue. Sure, anybody can climb on a mower and cut the grass. It's making the grass look good when they're done that's the hard part.

You need to experiment with the different factors that affect discharge to achieve a result that is acceptable to you and your customers.
But Richard, it's only grass we're cutting. How hard can it be? LOL

You are SO right.