Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you take this job?

alright, so I was recommended by a neighbor to one of her friends to do some landscaping work. And well.... I didnt know it was this bad till I meet with the guy to give and talk about some ideas.

He bought the house about 4 years ago and now that the inside is done, he wants to start on the outside. As you can see it has been neglected for a while. He wants it all pulled out and redone. The soil is all clay and rock so I would have to dig down, remove some of the old material and replace with top soil. I am getting plant recommendations from a nursery. However in order to do some of these garden beds and put top soil in them, I would need some sort or machinery. I know how to operate a bobcat, would renting one be the best bet? or should i go with a smaller dingo walk behind digger.

Also could i just rent a roll off trailer and fill it up with soil and other material inorder to keep from going to the dump and finding a place too off load? Or i could as for a place to dump on his 30 acres.

I was thinking 60 an hour while using the bobcat + the price to rent for a day + the price to deliver and pick up in order to make the beds. I would have a worker which i would pay 12 an hour (25 plus my 60 and hour)

does this sound like a possibility? too cheep? or?
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Charging per hour is horrible . Charge by the job, for example by sq ft of area renovated by determining your cost per sq ft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
Charging per hour is horrible . Charge by the job, for example by sq ft of area renovated by determining your cost per sq ft.
Posted via Mobile Device

So them what would be a decent sq ft rate?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Idk your costs. Measure the area, add all your expenses then divide by x SQ FT then you have your.cost per sq ft. Add.profit, & u r set.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a back hoe/loader tractor. Charge at least $150 per hr that covers your hourly rate+rental cost+materials. I think you come out better at an hour rate vs fixed rate. I couldnt guess the number of times I screwed myself over because I quoted a fixed price over an hourly rate and jobs ended up taking me longer than I thought it would.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, are you sure you need to replace soil? The yard is in rough condition, but its supporting a lawn pretty well. Definitely rent a bobcat. A dingo will be too small for moving the potential amount of earth you're thinking about. Talk to a local roll off dumpster company. When I do big dirt removal jobs, they will drop off 2 15-20yd dumpsters at a time and will keep replacing them as I need. I think you'll be fine to rototil the site, then regrade it. Take a soil sample
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
Get a back hoe/loader tractor. Charge at least $150 per hr that covers your hourly rate+rental cost+materials. I think you come out better at an hour rate vs fixed rate. I couldnt guess the number of times I screwed myself over because I quoted a fixed price over an hourly rate and jobs ended up taking me longer than I thought it would.

so 150 an hour would cover the 1 day rental cost, delivery, and diesel along with my pay right?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1277 View Post
First of all, are you sure you need to replace soil? The yard is in rough condition, but its supporting a lawn pretty well. Definitely rent a bobcat. A dingo will be too small for moving the potential amount of earth you're thinking about. Talk to a local roll off dumpster company. When I do big dirt removal jobs, they will drop off 2 15-20yd dumpsters at a time and will keep replacing them as I need. I think you'll be fine to rototil the site, then regrade it. Take a soil sample
about how much did you pay for your roll off?

soil has a bunch of rock in it. The costumer would prefer to have fresh healthy soil added to the gardens, he is considering leaf grow or top soil,m which ever is cheaper.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO $60 per hour on the Bobcat is too low. Around here $100 is pretty common. I would definitely use it over a dingo. If the customer is on 30 acres they will certainly let you dump somewhere so I wouldn't even consider renting a trailer for that. tell them they can save some money. if not, most places that deliver topsoil will haul off for you if you need it. My guy charges me $50 cash a truckload. I always use a hourly rate for jobs like this. Bid high because its likely it'll take longer than you first thought.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
IMO $60 per hour on the Bobcat is too low. Around here $100 is pretty common. I would definitely use it over a dingo. If the customer is on 30 acres they will certainly let you dump somewhere so I wouldn't even consider renting a trailer for that. tell them they can save some money. if not, most places that deliver topsoil will haul off for you if you need it. My guy charges me $50 cash a truckload. I always use a hourly rate for jobs like this. Bid high because its likely it'll take longer than you first thought.
100 an hour plus the rental fees right?
Posted via Mobile Device