Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

measuring wheel

does anyone make a estimate with a measuring wheel ?? with either mulch or just a lawn cut ????
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

You better measure it with something, unless your into guessing how much money you stand to make of loose.

I don't measure lawns for mowing, but I always measure for seed,fert,mulch,dirt and rock. I use a 300' tape though, it can be used for laying out curves and planting schedules better than a wheel can. It helps me visualize the final product better than just knowing the number does. The new ones are geared to wind up really fast, so its not a hassle to use
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

im just trying to figure out a forumlation to better estimate a lawn instead of just going out to someones house and saying ill do your lawn for 30 dollars
Old 09-29-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickz123 View Post
im just trying to figure out a forumlation to better estimate a lawn instead of just going out to someones house and saying ill do your lawn for 30 dollars
Then tell them a million haha.

If you can't estimate it within a few minutes, measure it. Then time it.
I made a list of everything I did in a day,for the week. like the properties in order, and all the individual things I did there and drive times to the next job. I had my buddy watch me and time every seperate step. I can tell you that between unloading a mower, and mowing the front of my first Tuesday spot, its 4 minutes. 7 minutes for the back and loading the mower back on the trailer and locking it up. Everyones equipment and properties are different, so your numbers are going to matter the most.
The size of a yard is only one factor, IME obstacles and amount of open flower beds makes the biggest impact on my time. Keep in mind, almost all of my clients lawns are under 3K of turf, so trimming, edgin, weeding and leaves take more time than the mowing.
If you don't have either a wheel, or 100+ foot tape, I'd recomend buying one today. Home depot has a few good ones for under 50$. Account for time lost to measure.
Also, if you measure a yard, its worth it to me to make a some what labeled drawling. It will come in handy when the people you don't remember call you and you can act like your on board. You can use those to keep track of you chem rates too and save some more time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

after a while you should be able to get where you can look at something and guesstimate acreage in 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 acre lots. But it's no excuse for measuring. I was always taught that an acre is basically a football field, minus the end zones. When measuring for beds, rocks, whatever... Yes, you need a wheel, long tape, something so you know how much you're needing. The web can be your friend to an extent on finding sizes, but still...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

i just wanted to do it to get a better estimate and to maybe look more professional but if no one on here does and your still in bussiness lol
Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

and ive timed myself once on one of my lawns turn me 30 min from gate drop to gate up and thats a 0.34 acre lot
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickz123 View Post
i just wanted to do it to get a better estimate and to maybe look more professional but if no one on here does and your still in bussiness lol
Having a wheel doesn't make you look more professional. If used right it can help keep you from loosing your butt... I'd invest in one as cheap as they are, but like I said, after a while when it comes to just pricing "mowing only" you should be able to trust your eyes and know how long it will take YOU to mow.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

does anyone look on the website zillow to find out the acreage of a property before going to give the estimate
Old 09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used 'findlotsize.com' but the imagery isn't detailed enough so that you can zoom in and get an accurate enough location between property lines. At least in my area isn't not.

I've always tried to get an idea of what I'm going to look at before I head out to place an estimate.