Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons37 View Post
How long is the grass when you mow it? How often do you mow it? How about Golf Course Equipment?

If you are going to keep the Ventrac, use a Zero turn for the flatter terrain and just use the Ventrac on the real steep areas. You might find the Zero would be able to do it all, anyway.
Like I said earlier, I had a Deere WAM mower, and the thing was completely useless. After my experience with that machine, I will probably never buy another John Deere product again.

As far as using the Ventrac on the hills, it is just so darned slow that I would like to find something that will mow with a bit more speed. I can only go about 2 mph uphill.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambull View Post
Thanks for the info. I checked out a Ferris 3100 gas the other day, and have been looking at the Bad Boy mowers. Perhaps I should consider a Kubota as well. Still haven't gotten a demo on my lawn yet. I am a bit shy on the diesels, as the weight scares me, when I get into the wetter areas on the property.
The lighter they are the more they are going to slide. Weight is your friend on hills. Its pretty darn scary to have a run away zero turn. From the size of your hill at your house, if you had an issue with tracton, you would be in your pond before you stopped. Once you start sliding on a zero turn the faster you go untill you reach the bottom. Grass is like grease once you loose tractorn.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
The lighter they are the more they are going to slide. Weight is your friend on hills. Its pretty darn scary to have a run away zero turn. From the size of your hill at your house, if you had an issue with tracton, you would be in your pond before you stopped. Once you start sliding on a zero turn the faster you go untill you reach the bottom. Grass is like grease once you loose tractorn.
Actually there is a flat spot about halfway down the hill, where I get a chance to clean out my shorts....... I have sledded the Deere zero turn down it more than a couple times. The zero turn was nothing compared to the 4500 pound WAM mower sliding out of control.

I am going to check out the Kubota's today. How was your Kubota diesel in wet areas? Did it sink easily? The Kubota diesels are lighter than most of the other diesel ZT's. The Kubota is around 1700 pounds, the Bad Boy is around 2000 pounds, and the Ferris is around 2400 pounds. The Ferris dealer told me that the diesel gets stuck pretty easily in wet areas, and at 2400 pound I am not surprised.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually there is a flat spot about halfway down the hill, where I get a chance to clean out my shorts....... I have sledded the Deere zero turn down it more than a couple times. The zero turn was nothing compared to the 4500 pound WAM mower sliding out of control.

I am going to check out the Kubota's today. How was your Kubota diesel in wet areas? Did it sink easily? The Kubota diesels are lighter than most of the other diesel ZT's. The Kubota is around 1700 pounds, the Bad Boy is around 2000 pounds, and the Ferris is around 2400 pounds. The Ferris dealer told me that the diesel gets stuck pretty easily in wet areas, and at 2400 pound I am not surprised.
How wet are you talking? And what type ground is it? When I first got the mower I got it stuck a couple of time. Generally its no worse than a normal ztr. The difference is intead of just getting stuck you sink is seconds. It isn't from the weight exactly(unless its soopy), but because of how much traction you have, and moving at 10mph with 26inch tires you dig a hole in an instant. Also I run my tires at 7 psi instead of 17 psi so I have a larger foot print. So my total foot print in the rear is 2ft by around 4 inches. Also around 400 lbs of that weight is up front.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Is your really worryed about getting stuck put ag tires on kubota. You would rut but never get stuck hahaha. Also it might be work check out the kubota front deck mowers. You can get a 100 inch lastec deck and if you had 4wd and but ag tires all the way around you would not have traction issues and being that all the weight is on the front of the machine you would never slide down hill, but you would do an endo if you stopped hard.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Is your really worryed about getting stuck put ag tires on kubota. You would rut but never get stuck hahaha. Also it might be work check out the kubota front deck mowers. You can get a 100 inch lastec deck and if you had 4wd and but ag tires all the way around you would not have traction issues and being that all the weight is on the front of the machine you would never slide down hill, but you would do an endo if you stopped hard.
I really appreciate your help and advice JC. At this point I am really close to pulling the trigger on a Bad Boy 35HP diesel with bar tires. I am getting a demo of a gas unit next week. We will see how it works.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I really appreciate your help and advice JC. At this point I am really close to pulling the trigger on a Bad Boy 35HP diesel with bar tires. I am getting a demo of a gas unit next week. We will see how it works.
I think that would be one heck of a machine. Power on hills would not be an issue at all... And 15mph and suspension? I really want to demo one myself. Also retro dog on here sells a number of those diesels if you have questions the dealer can't answer. I'd get the chain striping kit. I love the idea of it.

Last edited by JCLawn and more; 08-31-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I still wouldnt buy a BB over a Ferris or Kubota......
Old 09-01-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice place!
If you go with a ztr I would be putting something in front of the pond to stop you from going in!

JC, can you show us some pics of your Kub on a steep hills like the OP has?
I was once told by a dealer he wouldnt sell me a Kub due to the slopes I have to mow at times. I'd just like to see if he was full of it.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
I still wouldnt buy a BB over a Ferris or Kubota......
I would for a number of reasons besides the 3 grand different. The biggest is the amount of body roll a ferris has. Would you want to be on a 30 degree slope and have body roll?