Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Nice place!
If you go with a ztr I would be putting something in front of the pond to stop you from going in!

JC, can you show us some pics of your Kub on a steep hills like the OP has?
I was once told by a dealer he wouldnt sell me a Kub due to the slopes I have to mow at times. I'd just like to see if he was full of it.
I did have one where I put it sideways on a 45 degree. It got deleted though. I might see if I can do one tomorrow of an insane ditch bank I do that would flip a garden tractor. The picture won't do it justice though.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Nice place!
If you go with a ztr I would be putting something in front of the pond to stop you from going in!
It is not as bad as it looks. The last 30 feet or so is almost completely flat. The top is actually steeper than it looks. The left side is so steep that it is difficult to walk up, and almost impossible to walk up when the grass is wet. The max slope I measured is somewhere around 25 degrees. I think many people exaggerate slopes, 25 real degrees is quite steep, and it is steep for over 50 feet. Once you start sliding in there, the mower can really pick up speed. Makes you clench the butt cheeks a little for sure.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Your slope is probably too steep for a ZTR regardless of what brand.....
Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
Your slope is probably too steep for a ZTR regardless of what brand.....
Its really not
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, I actually found the correct information for the Cat engine on the Bad Boy diesel. The 94 ft-lbs of torque is actually N-m, and it occurs at roughly 1800 RPM, not 3000 RPM.

The torque is 62.3 ft-lbs at 3000 RPM.

Here is the CAT info:

http://pdf.cat.com/cda/files/374290/7/LEHH6349.pdf

Last edited by Ambull; 09-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

The 94 n-m at 1800 RPM corresponds to 69 ft-lbs of torque. Still a very impressive number, and this thing must really pull hills well when bogged down a bit.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Well the Bad Boy deal fell through. The CAT diesels are backordered at the factory, so I would have to wait until November. I ended up purchasing a Ferris 3100Z. 36 HP Vanguard, 72" ICD deck, suspension seat, and bar tires. Should get it in the next couple days.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambull View Post
Well the Bad Boy deal fell through. The CAT diesels are backordered at the factory, so I would have to wait until November. I ended up purchasing a Ferris 3100Z. 36 HP Vanguard, 72" ICD deck, suspension seat, and bar tires. Should get it in the next couple days.
Have you demoed it yet? It will work, you just might have to fuss with it to stick on the hills like you want.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Have you demoed it yet? It will work, you just might have to fuss with it to stick on the hills like you want.
I went to a large dealer who was over an hour away. I demoed a 60" deck with turf tires on his property. There were slopes around 15 degrees, and the grass was wet, but the mower had absolutely no problems. I believe that all that suspension stuff adds weight down low, which even greater improves the hillside stability. Unfortunately he didn't want to travel all the way out to my place for the demo.

I was amazed at how well the suspension system works. Just absorbs everything!!! The other day I mowed the flat parts of my lawn with the Deere 757 ZT 60", and I had forgotten how bad the ride is on that machine. I was constantly bouncing off the seat switch, causing the engine to lose spark. When spark was regained, it would fire the unburned fuel in the exhaust, causing a backfire sound. Anyways, my back and butt are still sore, lol.

The 3100Z that I demoed was really smooth over the ruts, and with the added suspension seat it should be even better.

The dealer was over in New York, so I was able to save the sales tax as well.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

scag turf tiger 72" deck cat turbo diesel. end of story, or go with a gas motor like the 34hp kohler or something, low maintenance. built like a tank and probably comes in at 1600lbs with the diesel maybe even 1400. and they are great on hills, very low maintenance. but the price tag for the turbo diesel 72" turf tiger is probably around 15,000 but if you want the best your gonna have to pay for it. but for a home owner you should get 20 years out one easy.