Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
scag turf tiger 72" deck cat turbo diesel. end of story, or go with a gas motor like the 34hp kohler or something, low maintenance. built like a tank and probably comes in at 1600lbs with the diesel maybe even 1400. and they are great on hills, very low maintenance. but the price tag for the turbo diesel 72" turf tiger is probably around 15,000 but if you want the best your gonna have to pay for it. but for a home owner you should get 20 years out one easy.
Let me guess, you own a Scag? I was more interested in the Big Boy, as it has the four cylinder Cat. The Scag Cat is 28 HP (3 cylinder) and the Bad Boy is 35 HP. I don't think there is much of an argument about which one cuts better, as those Velocity decks from Scag seem to be the best, but to be honest, I really don't mind that much if there are a few clumps of grass here and there.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambull View Post
Let me guess, you own a Scag? I was more interested in the Big Boy, as it has the four cylinder Cat. The Scag Cat is 28 HP (3 cylinder) and the Bad Boy is 35 HP. I don't think there is much of an argument about which one cuts better, as those Velocity decks from Scag seem to be the best, but to be honest, I really don't mind that much if there are a few clumps of grass here and there.

Thanks for the response.
I do own a scag and I have for over 10 years now even though I only 25 myself. I have thousands of hours operating them, and I know they take a beating and then some and last for a very long time, and require very little maintenance. I have 34hp kohler gas motor on my scag cheetah with a 61" deck and my only reasoning for going with the 61" vs. a 72" is they didn't make a bagger system for the 72" cheetah yet, and I knew I wanted a bagger system so I went with the 61" deck and it really creates more trimming by having the smaller deck size but the bagger saves me a lot of time in the spring and fall and helps me make a lot of money vs. not having a bagger which i've only had for 14 months now. honestly the 34hp kohler really never bogs down. I have gotten it to bog down in a few situations in the spring time, or when I have the bagger on but even the diesel would bog down under the same circumstances when bagging leaves that are 1' high and compacted. I really abuse my machine as much as I can to see what kind of abuse it will take. I've cut many lawns that had grass that was 3' tall going 5 or 6mph and that caused it to bog down but that's not a normal condition. I demoed an exmark 60 mower a few times and that's the second toughest mower out there, and while it stripes nicer, the cut wasn't any better it was a little worse. nothing any of my customers would notice but I didn't like it and the machine isn't as precise as the scag's are, plus the operators area is smaller and being 6'2 I prefer to have more leg room. but go with what works you I guess. But scags slogan of "simply the best" is really true. no other machine will hold up to the abuse that scags will.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Seriously, everyone use the same mechanicals parts as everyone else. A scag is an exmark, is a dixie chopper, is a bad boy. The only difference is the deck, frame design, and comforts. This unless you get a kubota, ventrac, or JD 997. Everything has a twin on how they work or 3+ companies with the same design.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If he was a commercial guy he might look at something better suited to last 3000+ hrs because I am going to gamble that its going to all be replaced at some point, but being that he won't put 100 hrs on it a year he will never have those issues and being independent suspension it will hug the ground and float like like a cruiz ship rather than bounce like a scag. For me I would take a scag cheeta over the 3100 because of long term expected costs. Scag is not a fit all.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
If he was a commercial guy he might look at something better suited to last 3000+ hrs because I am going to gamble that its going to all be replaced at some point, but being that he won't put 100 hrs on it a year he will never have those issues and being independent suspension it will hug the ground and float like like a cruiz ship rather than bounce like a scag. For me I would take a scag cheeta over the 3100 because of long term expected costs. Scag is not a fit all.
I see where your going with this, and you are right he won't be putting that many hours on the machine a year, but the mowers don't have the same parts, maybe the motors they use, and the tires that's about it. a lot of mowers don't use grease able spindles, and other parts, scags have grease fittings everywhere, and the stock spindles will last beyond 3000 hours stock bearings, I've seen several 2003-06 scag turf tigers with over 3000 hours, original hydro pumps, original spindles, only little things need replacing on scags, steering dampners, belts, tires,pulleys....cheap stuff.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I see where your going with this, and you are right he won't be putting that many hours on the machine a year, but the mowers don't have the same parts, maybe the motors they use, and the tires that's about it. a lot of mowers don't use grease able spindles, and other parts, scags have grease fittings everywhere, and the stock spindles will last beyond 3000 hours stock bearings, I've seen several 2003-06 scag turf tigers with over 3000 hours, original hydro pumps, original spindles, only little things need replacing on scags, steering dampners, belts, tires,pulleys....cheap stuff.
Ferris is all greasable. Most all bearing cross with something else. I hardly ever by an oem bearing anymore. I have a local bearing store that usually has them all in stock haha. In deck bearing, greasable is the way to go. On wheel bearings, greasless while greasing the hub is the way to go. Dirt is the failure of all bearings and is what makes greasless fails. So if you grease greasless bearings it keeps dirt out and you rolling also I am hoping my kubota will go 6,000 hrs without needing to crack open the hydro's or engine. I'm at 1100 now. What's the same on the tires are motors, hydro pumps, hydro motors. Everyone uses hydro gear, or parker. Also looking through mow more catalog scag, lesco, wright, and ferris use at least one spindle assembly. That was 94 and older though. The new spindle they use has the same bearing as gravely,exmark, toro, gilson, and great dane. Scag, ferris, encore have the same spindle shaft. Like its the same part number literally.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Actually the Scag Cheetah 72" has a fairly decent suspension for the operator, just seemed like the Ferris and Bad Boy suspensions were better. I researched Ferris on this site, and I couldn't find anybody complaining about the suspension system wearing out early. In some ways the Ferris will take less jarring hits, which may help the rest of the mower actually last longer. You are right about the hours, right now I put about 150hours a year mowing, but with this mower I am expecting to be less than 100.

I looked at the Kubota's too, as there is a fairly strong local dealer. The pricing was higher than the Ferris, except on the diesel, and there were no suspension options other than the seat. Plus, I just feel a little better buying an American made product. There is definitely a lot of brand loyalty on this site. Kudos to you for not being blinded by your brand of choice.

I will let you know how the first mow with the Ferris goes. Should be in a couple of days.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambull View Post
Actually the Scag Cheetah 72" has a fairly decent suspension for the operator, just seemed like the Ferris and Bad Boy suspensions were better. I researched Ferris on this site, and I couldn't find anybody complaining about the suspension system wearing out early. In some ways the Ferris will take less jarring hits, which may help the rest of the mower actually last longer. You are right about the hours, right now I put about 150hours a year mowing, but with this mower I am expecting to be less than 100.

I looked at the Kubota's too, as there is a fairly strong local dealer. The pricing was higher than the Ferris, except on the diesel, and there were no suspension options other than the seat. Plus, I just feel a little better buying an American made product. There is definitely a lot of brand loyalty on this site. Kudos to you for not being blinded by your brand of choice.

I will let you know how the first mow with the Ferris goes. Should be in a couple of days.
I'm interested in ferris, just leary. Also the american thing is a wash most of the time. With kubota engines are made in japan, everything else is made in GA, but all the bearings and what not are most likley from china. Ferris is owned bigs and stratton (aka break and scatter or BS). They have imported a lot from china. Some engines are being made in china now. My local kubota/toro dealer stopped selling some push mowers and snow throwers due to it being made in china and having never ending waranty issues. Scag is usa and union. Bad boy is use and run a bear bones operation which is the reason for the back order. The cat engines are not really cats, they are either a perkins (made in europe) or a japanese diesel. So it even outs in the end. Also the kubota with a pivoting axel rides better than most ztrs until the seat takes a crap like mine haha. Also with the scag I whay I meant by bouncing what the frame literally bouncing. 4 fixed framed tires bouncing on a steep hill is asking for trouble.

Last edited by JCLawn and more; 09-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My 2 favorite brands are grasshopper and kubota btw. The kubota drive train and cooling system just blows everyone else out of the water. Grasshopper front deck due to cheap parts, awesome cut, awesome bagging system, comfortable ride, and easy on the turf.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

OK I received my Ferris yesterday, and mowed my lawn today. I was able to completely mow the lawn in 2.5 hours. It used to take 4 hours. I slid once, going down the steepest part of the hill. Slid for about 30 feet. Mower goes up the steep hill very well. Suspension is fantastic, and it allows my to mow at a higher rate. The 36 HP Briggs engine is surprisingly quiet, and has decent power. The deck cuts very well - no clumping. Mower goes very well sideways on hills. I didn't accurately check the fuel consumption, but I would guess 1.6-1.8 gph.

For everything to be perfect, I would like to somehow improve the machine so that it can handle that one problem spot without sliding. Perhaps load the tires, or use wheel weights. Too bad I can't get some of those "Ted brakes", with those, going down hill would be no problem.

I think that once I get used to the mower and get it better tweaked out, I should be able to do the lawn in close to 2 hours.