Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2003, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Nextel

I have a nextel,the contractor I sub snow work for has about five or six and we both agree that the nextel is useless around the Chgo area.just one dead spot after another.real pain in the neck talking giving directions or orders and then have person you are talking to go missing on the air,only to call back and ask "what did you say,the phone went dead".This is our first and lastyear for nextel,back to Verizon had their cheapest plan and it worked just great.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The phone is ok but the range stinks.

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds
Old 04-17-2003, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yup agree on the range..the two way is great, the price stinks, and the range stinks....the only reason that we have them for our employees is because of the direct connect
Old 04-17-2003, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never consider going back to not having nextels! In my area the covereg is great i don't get many doped calls and i am able to communicate with all of our employees quickly "Nextel it is how business gets done"
Old 04-18-2003, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get this, I dont even use a cell phone. 20 years and counting.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Nextel

2 way is great, cell service not so great, coverage not so great, plans ok and price is not so great. Be sure to ask about proposed cell sites and the local areas that you will be using it in for the majority of the time (some areas have more cell sites thus better coverage). There are also areas where they are restricted against adding additional cell towers thus....the service will never improve. O yes, customer service was not nice at all. Just my .02.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I"ve had Nextels off and on for a couple of years. Right now, I am using ordinary cell phones because we are waiting for Sprint and some of the others to come out with the two-way...plus those picture phones will be priceless to have on the job.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nextels are great, you can get a pretty good deal and they are the best way to communicate. They can act as a walkie talkie then if you need to make a call you can, you can also do three-way calling and confrence calling plus you can have voice mail and a bunch of other features. You get one for yourself and your other vehicals or "foremen" and your set.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KenH
Get this, I dont even use a cell phone. 20 years and counting.
Its possible to do so for 20 more yrs...
Its all about your work style.

Some people can plan/ organize the whole day the night before and stick with it till the day is over. Then to the voice message box and callbacks in the evenings.

My uncle has been doing this for 12 yrs. I cant convince him otherwise. Besides he has 20X more money then I do

P.S. I do have a cell phone.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Email address

THis reminded me of a great story.... (sorry a bit long)

Email Address
An unemployed man is desperate to support his family. His wife watches TV all day and his three teenage kids have dropped out of high school to hang around with the local toughs. He applies for a janitor's job at a large firm and easily passes an aptitude test.

The human resources manager tells him, “You will be hired at minimum wage of $5.15 an hour. Let me have your e-mail address so that we can get you in the loop. Our system will automatically e-mail you all the forms and advise you when to start and where to report on your first day.”

Taken back, the man protests that he is poor and has neither a computer nor an e-mail address. To this the manager replies, “You must understand that to a company like ours that means that you virtually do not exist. Without an e-mail address you can hardly expect to be employed by a high-tech firm. Good day.”

Stunned, the man leaves. Not knowing where to turn and having $10 in his wallet, he walks past a farmers' market and sees a stand selling 25lb crates of beautiful red tomatoes. He buys a crate, carries it to a busy corner and displays the tomatoes. In less than 2 hours he sells all the tomatoes and makes 100% profit. Repeating the process several times more that day, he ends up with almost $100 and arrives home that night with several bags of groceries for his family.

During the night he decides to repeat the tomato business the next day. By the end of the week he is getting up early every day and working into the night. He multiplies his profits quickly. Early in the second week he acquires a cart to transport several boxes of tomatoes at a time, but before a month is up he sells the cart to buy a broken-down pickup truck.

At the end of a year he owns three old trucks. His two sons have left their neighborhood gangs to help him with the tomato business, his wife is buying the tomatoes, and his daughter is taking night courses at the community college so she can keep books for him. By the end of the second year he has a dozen very nice used trucks and employs fifteen previously unemployed people, all selling tomatoes. He continues to work hard. Time passes and at the end of the fifth year he owns a fleet of nice trucks and a warehouse which his wife supervises, plus two tomato farms that the boys manage.

The tomato company's payroll has put hundreds of homeless and jobless people to work. His daughter reports that the business grossed a million dollars.

Planning for the future, he decides to buy some life insurance. Consulting with an insurance adviser, he picks an insurance plan to fit his new circumstances. Then the adviser asks him for his e-mail address in order to send the final documents electronically.

When the man replies that he doesn't have time to mess with a computer and has no e-mail address, the insurance man is stunned, “What, you don't have e-mail? No computer? No Internet? Just think where you would be today if you'd had all of that five years ago!”

“Ha!” snorts the man. “If I'd had e-mail five years ago I would be sweeping floors at Micro Byteme and making $5.15 an hour.”

Which brings us to the moral:

Sadly, I received this via email too ....