Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

just call him and tell him he still owes you money. tell him if he doesn't pay within the next month you will not mow for him anymore and he can find someone else.

rule #1: always get paid for a cut first before you cut someone's yard again.

this is what i live by. of course if you do businesses and such they will be billed monthly usually. as far as residentials they pay for one cut before i will even go back for the next cut. keep yourself from getting burned that way.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
just call him and tell him he still owes you money. tell him if he doesn't pay within the next month you will not mow for him anymore and he can find someone else.

rule #1: always get paid for a cut first before you cut someone's yard again.

this is what i live by. of course if you do businesses and such they will be billed monthly usually. as far as residentials they pay for one cut before i will even go back for the next cut. keep yourself from getting burned that way.
When you are starting out with 6 or less customers and it seems they are all retired. So they are always home when you service and you will always get paid.

As your customer list grows you start getting people that still work or for any reason they are not home when you service them. Running back a second time to get paid starts getting old real fast.

I remember when I did not have many lawns. It was not often that the customer was not there to pay me. It got to the point where I would just wait to the next week and get paid double. Seeing that I did not get burnt gave me the confidence to switch over to monthly billing.

A key to getting paid quicker is to get the invoices out ASAP instead of at the end of the month. If the 31st is on a Sunday and you serviced people on Monday the 24th and will not service them till the next month you let too much time go bye before you sent out the invoice. So get that invoice made out Monday evening and in the mail Tuesday morning. At the latest.

Saved me time. Just have to make sure that you build up enough working cash to carry you through the month. Also when you put people on monthly the key is to be blunt and clear. Of course you must act and speak professionally.

I tell my new customers that they have 10 days to pay me from the date on the invoice. I can not afford to go 9 mows before I get paid for doing the first 4/5. I am running a business and need cash flow to meet my costs. If they can not acknowledge the need for quick payment I will not take them on.

I have one commercial account. They paid slow from the beginning. Always claim to have cash flow issues themselves. Matter of fact they have their commercial property for sale for a year now. Quite often they go past the 10 day payment due note on the invoice. Usually they do not go past 30 days. At least 2 to 3 times a year I have to send out a past due. Being they are my only slow payer. So they do not cause cash flow problems. They will get that check out 7 to 10 days after the 2nd notice. I keep them because I make good money from mowing and snow removal on them.

The 31" snow storm we had last winter left them with a huge snow removal bill. They called and said they needed extra time to pay. I said no problem. I appreciate you taking the time to call me and give me the heads up.

Dealing with them has taught me how to handle customers regarding payments. So I make an exception for them. Though I will not do so for any new customers.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I call them at 3 a.m. it works
Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
When you are starting out with 6 or less customers and it seems they are all retired. So they are always home when you service and you will always get paid.

As your customer list grows you start getting people that still work or for any reason they are not home when you service them. Running back a second time to get paid starts getting old real fast.

I remember when I did not have many lawns. It was not often that the customer was not there to pay me. It got to the point where I would just wait to the next week and get paid double. Seeing that I did not get burnt gave me the confidence to switch over to monthly billing.

A key to getting paid quicker is to get the invoices out ASAP instead of at the end of the month. If the 31st is on a Sunday and you serviced people on Monday the 24th and will not service them till the next month you let too much time go bye before you sent out the invoice. So get that invoice made out Monday evening and in the mail Tuesday morning. At the latest.

Saved me time. Just have to make sure that you build up enough working cash to carry you through the month. Also when you put people on monthly the key is to be blunt and clear. Of course you must act and speak professionally.

I tell my new customers that they have 10 days to pay me from the date on the invoice. I can not afford to go 9 mows before I get paid for doing the first 4/5. I am running a business and need cash flow to meet my costs. If they can not acknowledge the need for quick payment I will not take them on.

I have one commercial account. They paid slow from the beginning. Always claim to have cash flow issues themselves. Matter of fact they have their commercial property for sale for a year now. Quite often they go past the 10 day payment due note on the invoice. Usually they do not go past 30 days. At least 2 to 3 times a year I have to send out a past due. Being they are my only slow payer. So they do not cause cash flow problems. They will get that check out 7 to 10 days after the 2nd notice. I keep them because I make good money from mowing and snow removal on them.

The 31" snow storm we had last winter left them with a huge snow removal bill. They called and said they needed extra time to pay. I said no problem. I appreciate you taking the time to call me and give me the heads up.

Dealing with them has taught me how to handle customers regarding payments. So I make an exception for them. Though I will not do so for any new customers.
the people that aren't at home leave a check for me. others mail me a check every time i cut their yard. i just send them a text and they put a check in the mail. i've had one guy pay me for several months upfront before. sent me a check for $500. i've never had to go back to a house to collect money. i won't do that. they have my address so they can mail me a check.

they either pay me at the time of service or mail me a check. i've always gotten a check before it was time to go mow the yard again.

Last edited by weeze; 12-22-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
the people that aren't at home leave a check for me. others mail me a check every time i cut their yard. i just send them a text and they put a check in the mail. i've had one guy pay me for several months upfront before. sent me a check for $500. i've never had to go back to a house to collect money. i won't do that. they have my address so they can mail me a check.

they either pay me at the time of service or mail me a check. i've always gotten a check before it was time to go mow the yard again.
Yeah I sent a text to the wife (who I deal with and it was a very friendly reminder) and the cop husband called me saying "my wife says you're 'harassing' her"? Then went on to say " how much do you 'think' we owe you"? Clearly the guy was trying to use his position and power to intimidate and get a freebie. I decided that a meat head who obviously has very low moral guidance and a badge is a dangerous person to tango with no matter how right I am and how wrong he is. It's a sad thing because I'm not one to let things go on principle...I'm very persistent...that persistence is what has let me build the business that I'm unwilling to compromise by playing with fire...the man is a dangerous person, despite being here to protect and serve society. Just not worth it because he is capable of horrible things...definitely one of those former corrections officers who meddled with the convicts too much inside. Even on a less worrisome not, it could cause his buddies to give me reason to pull me over for not tying my shoes or something and give me a costly ticket. My experience is that people who act like this to one person make a habit of being that kind of jerk in general and it affects them one way or another...whether it's an obvious negative impact or a less than obvious (like people just thinking you're a deadbeat thug). I let it slide and wrote him off as just being a jerk and I'm glad I don't have to deal with him anymore...but being a cop I'm sure he deals with people who are less forgiving and more aggressive than I am...hope for his sake he doesn't antagonize them too much...he definitely enjoys bullying and utilizing verbal judo for no reason even on innocents just working hard to make an honest living. Oh well, there are lots of bad people on the planet and a lot of Leo unfortunately adopt the thug tactics of the dead beats they are constantly around (for some of the brutes in law enforcement it's learned and not a prior condition...and then there's lots of great officers as well who serve with great nobility).

I try to get paid now ahead as well. These people had just moved into their home 2 months prior and told me they already fired their first lawn company...should have put up red flags...I bet they use a new company every month or so or as long as the last company allows them to be late on payments...eventually they'll piss off someone enough who has time and enough anger to pursue recourse.

Would love to have embarrassed the guy in small claims but didn't have the time and he would claim that the work was unsatisfactory. I don't know where the burden of proof lays but I didn't take photos (although I have a great reputation). Could do criminal court as theft but too hard to prove intent (although I'm sure now it was his plan all along).
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by getdown; 12-22-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah you are gonna run into all kinds of people in this career. don't be afraid to walk away from customers. i know it sucks cuz you need the money but if someone is off base you can tell. just tell them goodbye and farewell and replace them with a good customer.

i've had 2 times where a guy was yelling at me about stuff. turns out they were both drunk at the time. the first one was a customer who ending up paying me more money per cut after that incident. the other was a neighbor of a customer. that happened last week. i wanted to kill the guy to be honest. that's how mad i was. i wanted to beat the living you know what out of him. anyways found out he was drunk so he won't even remember what happened. just gotta let it go and move on. if i did beat him up i'd just get put in jail or something so it's not worth it. either way the drunk idiot bad guy always wins and the good lawn guy has to take it up the you know what. that's the way life goes.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
yeah you are gonna run into all kinds of people in this career. don't be afraid to walk away from customers. i know it sucks cuz you need the money but if someone is off base you can tell. just tell them goodbye and farewell and replace them with a good customer.

i've had 2 times where a guy was yelling at me about stuff. turns out they were both drunk at the time. the first one was a customer who ending up paying me more money per cut after that incident. the other was a neighbor of a customer. that happened last week. i wanted to kill the guy to be honest. that's how mad i was. i wanted to beat the living you know what out of him. anyways found out he was drunk so he won't even remember what happened. just gotta let it go and move on. if i did beat him up i'd just get put in jail or something so it's not worth it. either way the drunk idiot bad guy always wins and the good lawn guy has to take it up the you know what. that's the way life goes.
I feel ya. Thanks for the wise feedback. It's the service industry for sure. At least we own the business and can chose to walk away from these customers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah that's to good part. you can choose what to do and what not to do.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I have found that people that have used landscapers before and are use to paying once a month do not want to change to paying weekly. They see it as writing 4 to 5 checks each month. That's also 5 envelopes, 5 stamps.

Though when a your system works for you then keep it up.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i tell people they can do what they want to do. pay each cut or pay monthly. the majority always seems to pick to pay per cut where i live.