Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Proslide on Metro 36?

I have a Exmark Metro 36 and I'm only considering a Proslide XT as I like the idea that I can stand on it when needed and simply step off when not. The online video seems impressive.

The website says that it is not recommended for any belt drives or hydro units under 48"; however, I see them all the time on Metro's (36 and 48) for sale or displayed in pictures and 36" hydro units. Do they not recommend them for belt drives because they will kill the drive system or because the machine itself does not have enough counterweight? It would be used on flat lawns only and retracted whenever I encounter a hill or am working in tight areas (the reason I only like the Proslide idea). I would think standing on a plate dispersing my weight (200lbs) would not be harder on the machine than a single wheeled unit? But that's why I'm here asking.

I did a search and got limited results. 1 guy asked the same for a 36 belt drive JD and was told my 1 member it would be fine with no more wear and tear on the mower then a wheeled unit, then an argument started about the wear plate from people besides the OP. Another thread people recommended a wheeled unit as they did not like the Proslide system in general. I'm not interested in wheeled units as I don't want something I have to take on and off or hang and swing around the mower. If you all don't advise the Proslide XT is usable on the 36 Metro I'll stick to walking.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one on a 48" turf tracer and it wasn't the best. It was fine for straight line shots, but turning, even on level ground, took a lot of effort on my part and it shouldn't. We run the single wheel Velkes and you can turn as fast and carefree as you want with them, but with the Pro slide it's like the hydros would almost stall out in a turn. We would have to step off to turn. I'm 6'3" 215 and another guy using it is about 6' 190.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think a 36 will be heavy enough to run a proslide. You sure you don't want a wheeled unit?

I run a 2 wheel sulky on my 36 WB. I have only taken it off maybe 2-3 times in the last few years to mow some steep banks, otherwise I ride on it all the time. I ran it on a belt drive unit for years and now I run it on my hydro WB. Backing up isn't that difficult either once you get the hang of it, just lock your legs tight and it won't flip around.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at the bullrider sulky, less effort on tranny and can spin on a dime

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you all for the advice given the manufactures recommendation and the few responses I probably won't roll the dice on a $415 item that may not work unless anybody else weighs in. The bullrider looks the most appealing but for the accounts I have at the moment Ill stick to walking. The single wheeled units seem to leave a stripe down the middle that would drive me nuts.