Register free!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kiril - Pressure Bomb

While talking with a field manager for a walnut grower today, i asked if he thought he would see central used commonly in his lifetime.

I guessed him to be 35, he said he hoped that within the next 10 - 15 years they would make the change.

In our talk he mentioned pressure bombing as their main decider for irrigation needs. While he told me that they used probes, sensors and even the occassional shovel that pressure bombing was used the most often.

We talked 20 minutes while waiting for an access road to clear. It was interesting to me.

Kiril, outside of college, have you ever used this method of determining plant moisture?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

With thread title like that, expect to get contacted by homeland security
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stagnant Pressure.

Ghatpot

Last edited by Wet_Boots; 08-29-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added more words to gum up google searches
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
While talking with a field manager for a walnut grower today, i asked if he thought he would see central used commonly in his lifetime.

I guessed him to be 35, he said he hoped that within the next 10 - 15 years they would make the change.

In our talk he mentioned pressure bombing as their main decider for irrigation needs. While he told me that they used probes, sensors and even the occassional shovel that pressure bombing was used the most often.

We talked 20 minutes while waiting for an access road to clear. It was interesting to me.

Kiril, outside of college, have you ever used this method of determining plant moisture?
I have not used it in the field and it seems to me it would be a major time suck depending on what you are measuring (leaf or stem potential), given likely variations across the field with respect to soil conditions, rooting characteristics, irrigation efficiency, etc .... which would require many measurements in order to accurately map the field. You also have a very limited time on a daily basis in order to get accurate, reproducible results and extreme care needs to be taken when preparing the sample. Basically it has many limitations.

That said, if you have a high value crop (ex. wine grapes) where plant water status can make or break the crop quality then I can see its worth, but in conjunction with other tools. Personally if I were managing a high value crop I would use it to spot check irrigation efficiency and plant water status, especially if practicing RDI, but probably not as a primary tool for irrigation scheduling.

Last edited by Kiril; 08-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Kiril.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Thanks Kiril.
Have to say though, it is an interesting use of a tool that is typically used for research. Would have liked to talk with this guy given I have never heard of anyone using it on walnuts.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Have to say though, it is an interesting use of a tool that is typically used for research. Would have liked to talk with this guy given I have never heard of anyone using it on walnuts.
You would have, Kiril. You really would have.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wish someone would report in about using this product.www.dynamax.com