Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Gas or battery

We are just starting our business and have many questions. Will try and do one at a time.
What are your thoughts on a utility golf cart. I used battery powered where I worked as a maintenance man. Seem to need a lot of maintenance. What do you prefer? Gas or electric?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that really depend's on what you are using that cart for. If you are on mostly flat ground and you like a quiet vehicle, then you might like electric. But you have to keep water in the battery's, (that's a weekly chore in the summer) and you will be spending $600 - 700 every on new battery's every 5-7 year's. And that battery acid can eat the frame that hold's the battery's, but that's extreme, if you keep it clean that probably won't happen.

If you have hilly terrain, you definitely want a engine. But they are 2-stroke, straight gas, even just for a few minute's, will kill the engine. And they sound really annoying, to me anyway.

Just remember, those cart's, either gas or electric, were designed to carry 2 golfer's and their club's and that's it. They aren't utility vehicle's and will let you down quick if you try to do more with the machine than just ride around.