Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Trailer Vs a Walk behind

Hey Guys and Galls.

I am a new lawn care business owner started last month and in need of some advice from seasoned operators. At the moment I only have a few yards. I have an 02 Chevy 2500 with high miles but it runs strong and an old 5x10 trailer. I have a 54 lawn tractor that wont really fit in the trailer.

I have about $2k to spend. Should I get a trailer and what size or a used walk behind first.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First things first when starting off, buy equipment that makes you money. You can buy the trailer with some $ you make with your WB
Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice truck! You have problems with multiple misfire codes?

Everbody (including myself) is gonna say boo on the lawn tractor. You can probably pick up a real nice lightly used walk behind mower for under two grand, or even a decent one for a grand or so.

Make use of the trailer you've got, make sure its safe and legal, maybe put sides on it if it doesn't already have 'em. Hopefully you have atleast 6 hundo left after you get a walk behind if you don't already have a decent new or lightly used commercial string trimmer and backpack blower.

Once you use your new tools to make some money and do some nice work, then you might wanna upgrade the trailer and/or add another mower.

Don't drop your cash on a trailer big enough to haul around your inefficient tools. Get an efficient machine. A 36" would be super versatile and even fit in the back of your truck if you really wanted. Good luck
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

No problem with the truck so far. I have a trimmer and getting a new blower today. I will be doing some work in the county which has some big yards and starting to aerate. Ill need the tractor for that. Good advice guys. Trailer is legal and perfect for mulch. Just needs new plates.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

A 5 X 10 Trailer will take most 54 inch mowers. Myself I have my orginal 5 X 10 trailer from March 1990 still on the road and use it in my business. It will haul most of my equipment that I have replaced over the years. My John Deere 455 with my small deck 54 inch but not the larger 60 inch deck or with tractor and plow or loader. Or my John Deere walk behind or my Toro zero turn. I would purchase a good used low hour zero turn or walk behind mower and take the extra cash and bank it. Then plan where you would like to take your business to the next level. I would buy a very nice used enclosed trailer to equip your business with the most needed equipment to do your work on the properties that you maintain. Myself I moved from a homemade 6 X 9 trailer to a 5 x10 to 6.5 x 16 with a curb side gate to 8.5 x 24 enclosed trailer. I just had to replace my 6.5 x 16 with HD 7 X 18 equipment trailer. I'm still going since 1988 and love providing the best service that I can do. Just think your purchase though and enjoy on what you have done.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Good advice. Ok so now I would like to see whether to get a walk behind or a zero turn rider? I have one commercial property that takes 1 hr to push and trim and couple where a rider would be nice. Any advice on choices?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I have both Zero Turns, John Deere 54 inch Walk Behind and a Toro Titan MX 54 Zero Turn Rider. Both are good for what I purchased them for. I purchased the John Deere Walk Behind because I messed up my John Deere 285 on a hillside when it got away from me and cost me about $500 dollars to fix and give me peace of mind on most of my hillsides that I now. The Toro Titan MX was purchased to save me time on most of my properties. I have been mowing with my John Deere 455 with 60 and 54 inch decks. I average 15 acres a week mowing between the Toro Titan MX 54 inch deck and the John Deere 455 with 60 inch deck. Each mower has it limits on mowing and not so much on the John Deere 455 other than weight. So in the end its all up to you. Walk Behind is a very nice all around mower if walking or standing behind it on smooth property. Zero Turn Rider nice for all day mowing setting down with very little hillsides to mow.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A 48 and a 52 WB will fit in your truck. Use what you have to make money

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

You could be to trade your trailer plus a lil cash for a slightly bigger trailer. Might find something on craigslist.

I have a mini-van I am using until I can afford a truck and trailer. Sadly, the trailer will have to wait as my goal is to have a truck with plow by winter of 2014.

Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 48" Scag hydro with a sulky. It may take a while to fine a good one, but I see them around here for under $2000 from time to time.