Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

SAE 30 reg VS SAE 30 Synthetic

ok im about to do my first oil change and wondering if I should go with the SAE 30 synthetic over the reg SAE 30 . this unit is not used professionally day in and out but when its used ill run it half a day or all day with breaks.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't use my WB comerically either, just my yard and several helping out freebies. So, I won't get enough hours in a year to warrant an oil change but I'm not leaving oil in for over a year. For that reason, I stick with conventional oil and change annually. I use Mobile 1 in my p/u but I put a lot of miles on it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

this is a new unit and has about 5-10 hours on it . they want the first 5 hours to be changed then every 50 after that. to me when you are using it , its running for at least a couple hours to do a decent sized project but either way............ is synthetic gonna help it run cooler or smoother or whatever . probably doesn't matter either way lol
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Synthetics major advantages are it resists thermal breakdown and let's you extend change interval. I like the peace of mind that if my machines are working hard and long I don't have worry about the oil failing. They do claim to be slightly slicker and reduce drag. The early concerns about syns not swelling seals are not an issue anymore. Seals are made better and don't need to swell to operate properly.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfWarrior View Post
this is a new unit and has about 5-10 hours on it . they want the first 5 hours to be changed then every 50 after that. to me when you are using it , its running for at least a couple hours to do a decent sized project but either way............ is synthetic gonna help it run cooler or smoother or whatever . probably doesn't matter either way lol
synthetic wont let rings set properly I would run the reg 30 for few more oil changes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Modern engines have low tension, faced rings. The crosshatch on cylinders is extremely fine right out of the factory. The rings seal almost immediately. This is all done to reduce drag and increase fuel economy and increase longeveity. Many models of engines ship with synthetic from the factory. Yours are as seated as they're going to get.