Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawns are toast here @ PSU. This is the 1st week we have skipped any yards, but it's been dry for a month. Our saving grace is lack of heat, as we have only had a few days above 90 this year. We are on the brink of serious turf damage, hopefully the rain will come. Been down this road before, as one very good thing comes usually happens; It thins the heard.....
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern grass View Post
I saw a cat fish with a life jacket on today we are drowning in ga
It's just the opposite here, we had to put sevin dust on our cafish to keep the fleas off of them
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are burned up here too!
I can only mow the customers that water EVERY DAY! If anyone does not water for a day it goes dry! It's crazy! It is raining outside as I type this... We just got our first rainstorm 2 days ago in a few weeks.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agree. This ring of fire weather trend will force most non irrigated lawns into dormancy here. That will wreck fall mowing....again. I am tempering my sales goals as I speak.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern grass View Post
I saw a cat fish with a life jacket on today we are drowning in ga
Here in N AL it's just the opposite. I saw a catfish today that had 3 ticks on it!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Here in Illinois we have had maybe two inches of rain since late June. Fortunately we had a wet spring and cool temps up till this week of high 90s. Just wondering if anyone else can sympathize with me. I've been mowing most of my lawns every 2 wks since mid July and now some of them are so burnt up I'll be doing good to mow that much. Rain seems to go around us every summer and hits neighboring towns.
I am between Peoria and Lincoln and have the same problems. With the high temps this week I likely will not mow again until we get rain. I talked to a man that lives only 20 miles SE of me -- said he hasn't missed a week of mowing all summer.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
It's just the opposite here, we had to put sevin dust on our cafish to keep the fleas off of them
I posted my reply before reading all of the former posts. I almost stole your joke!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtenterprises View Post
Lawns are toast here @ PSU. This is the 1st week we have skipped any yards, but it's been dry for a month. Our saving grace is lack of heat, as we have only had a few days above 90 this year. We are on the brink of serious turf damage, hopefully the rain will come. Been down this road before, as one very good thing comes usually happens; It thins the heard.....
Complete opposite over here in Picksburgh. Regular rain and fast growing lawns. I want to beat the people who fertilize! I can't keep up with this stuff.

I want to complain, but I think back to last year when the lawns were crispy brown at the beginning of July, and I thank heaven that I have work this season.
This week was truly the FIRST I've noted any slowing in growth since the beginning of spring. It's been nuts.

Hoping for rain for those who need it.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

here in Kansas city we had a late start and cool start to the summer could hardly keep up with the lawns, dried up and got hot for a couple weeks in july. end of july, beginning of august we had rain about twice a week for a few weeks and the grass came back really quick and almost grew faster than it did in spring. past 2 weeks have been very hot and dry again and have skipped most of them this week to try and keep them green at least one more week. it doesn't matter how tall you cut it, everything cool-season will slow down and turn brown with full sun, zero rain, and 90 + temps. I just try not to cut it till it absolutely needs it when it's like this, if grass crunches under my feet walking on it the mower isn't going to do it any favors
Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
here in Kansas city we had a late start and cool start to the summer could hardly keep up with the lawns, dried up and got hot for a couple weeks in july. end of july, beginning of august we had rain about twice a week for a few weeks and the grass came back really quick and almost grew faster than it did in spring. past 2 weeks have been very hot and dry again and have skipped most of them this week to try and keep them green at least one more week. it doesn't matter how tall you cut it, everything cool-season will slow down and turn brown with full sun, zero rain, and 90 + temps. I just try not to cut it till it absolutely needs it when it's like this, if grass crunches under my feet walking on it the mower isn't going to do it any favors
What this man said. Someone above talked about all the rain we had a few weeks ago. That was true, but it's amazing how thirsty the lawns get with 100 degree temps and no clouds after a couple of weeks.

When we have moderate weather I hate nutgrass, crabgrass and bermuda grass. With weather like this those are my saving graces - they thrive on the dry heat.