Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

first dry spell of an otherwise pretty good turf season.
I've backed off a bit-temps are up this week-and the lawns are showing a little toast.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Been dry here for a couple/few weeks. Been a great summer before this tho....a couple weeks ago it was only getting up to 78 as a high. This is my first slow week where I have to skip anything. I cut a few of today's lawns yesterday, cutting a couple of today's lawns tomorrow along with the other Thursday lawns and using today to clean the truck, organize some paperwork and finish a couple bids.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well you know what they say "The Lawn Care Guys Lawn Is Usually The Worst Looking" Hate to say it, but it looks great compared to 70% of our NON-IRRIGATED lawns....Thank you God for CONTRACTS
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I hear you. I'm in central Illinois and were going about every other week if we're lucky just to chop the top off the weeds that still seem to grow. If we didn't have some tree work and bushes to do we would be screwed. I'll be doing a rain dance tonight!! Lol!!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no offense but i dont know what you guys from minnesotta and missouri are talking about. every time i looked at the radar until about two wks ago, both of those states had widespread storms rolling thru. my friend just came back from mn and said how green it is. if i started skipping just bc i saw a little brown in the lawn id be starving. id be mowin every wk if i got all the rain you guys have , plus cool temps until now.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm 20 miles south of St Louis and we haven't had any rain in 10-15 days. no significant rain in 20 +days.....

The last rain that fell south of us, were storms off and on for 3 days....caused flooding..........it didn't rain a drop here.

I'm not hurting so bad because my lawns have irrigation or the client waters, but this late in the season the clients that water tend to not water so much...hence this is the first week I've had to skip any lawns.

FYI...widespread storms are exactly that....spread out.....a 10 minute hit here and a 10 minute hit there. The last time we had rain.......there was a 15 minute downpour...my sister lives 3 miles from me and didn't get anything....my parent's live 5 miles away in the opposite direction and they got 5 minutes of sprinkles here and there.

I dunno if you have the image of widespread storms being an all day slow rain over the whole state or not, but Quincy is right on the border of Missouri and if there was that much rain in Missouri, you would have got it.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess you are in the same boat we are, every storm that has rolled thru MO has gone either north or south upon approaching us. I just know that my brother lives in Kirkwood and he has been talking about all the rain they were getting. Sorry you haven't got much rain, hopefully Sept. holds something different.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At least for the saint louis area there seems to be rain possibly Sunday or Monday, i hope it comes! I live 40 miles west of stl and its been super dry, seems like a lot of people around this area are having trouble cutting lawns
Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Here in Illinois we have had maybe two inches of rain since late June. Fortunately we had a wet spring and cool temps up till this week of high 90s. I know most of you have benefited from above average rainfall amounts this summer. Just wondering if anyone else can sympathize with me. I've been mowing most of my lawns every 2 wks since mid July and now some of them are so burnt up I'll be doing good to mow that much. It's just frustrating because this is the 3rd straight summer that it has been dry and it isn't like we haven't had our rain chances. Rain seems to go around us every summer and hits neighboring towns. I'm glad I have so many lawns for a solo operator and I've been trimming more and more shrubs every year, otherwise I couldn't make it at this. I do this to support a family of four and these dry conditions can get me down if I let them. Hopefully September will resurrect my lawn season like hurricane Isaac did last year. Just had to vent, thanks!
I feel your pain. Seems like dallas and south louisiana gets all the rain. What about northern louisiana mother nature why us???
Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
thats suprising. i thought i saw all kinds of rain come thru columbia and south earlier this month.
Yes its green in Columbia But 90 miles north is brown where I am, even now the weeds isn't growing

I have 3 lawns that has sprinkler system really only thing I been mowing green grass but with one even with sprinkler running 3 different times during the day its still burning up with high temps.
We haven't had rain since mid june Its rained all around us just not here