Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I think we had 80 or 90 days over 100 this year, I think 10 over 110 maybe a total of 2 inches of rain in phx, also 98 percent of people have sprinklers
Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We've been frying here in the Bloomington area.

Any storms have bee either North, South, or East of us.

We did get one rouge shower last week, but just enough rain to keep the turf alive in Dormancy.

Slight chance of a scattered storm today, and that's it for the next week.

Only good thing about this dry weather is that it really helps the landscaping production. In the past it would rain so much that we couldn't get much done. Now when it's dry and no rain in the forecast, then we can knock out landscape and hardscape jobs without fear of getting rained out.

And luckily, 95% of the mowing we do (2 day route) is part of a full grounds maintenance contract. Even though we still show up every week to pick up garbage and fuss with any other details, it still saves money over-all on expenses for the mowers.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
off topic, snyder is there a wright stander dealer in kirksville?
Was he didn't pay his bills He sold them and did lawn care He sold out went to work for MFA
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in Central part of Illinois near Peoria. They just stated on the National Weather Service that we had the 3rd driest summer(June, July, August) on record for Peoria. Only good thing about this year was the cool summer. If it wasn't for that, it would have been a really bad summer. Wettest spring on record, followed by dry summer makes a bad lawn care season. I hope the fall will be more normal. Working like mad to get grass cut this spring, and now not working. The ups and downs of lawn care. I think it is going to take a hurricane to get the grass to come back now. It is toast. I hope we get rain before the winter. At least there is still leaf season. A little weather history for you guys. 5 years ago today Sept. 4, 2008 was the start of about 2 weeks worth of rain for us in Peoria. We had hurricane Gustaf followed by i believe Ike come up from the south and give us tons of rain. I remember because my son was born and was in the NICU for the whole time and I remember just sitting there and watching it rain outside. I think we had like 10 inches during that time period.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
We've been frying here in the Bloomington area.

Any storms have bee either North, South, or East of us.

We did get one rouge shower last week, but just enough rain to keep the turf alive in Dormancy.

Slight chance of a scattered storm today, and that's it for the next week.

Only good thing about this dry weather is that it really helps the landscaping production. In the past it would rain so much that we couldn't get much done. Now when it's dry and no rain in the forecast, then we can knock out landscape and hardscape jobs without fear of getting rained out.

And luckily, 95% of the mowing we do (2 day route) is part of a full grounds maintenance contract. Even though we still show up every week to pick up garbage and fuss with any other details, it still saves money over-all on expenses for the mowers.

What all do you cover in your full grounds maintenance contract as far as services go?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post
I am in Central part of Illinois near Peoria. They just stated on the National Weather Service that we had the 3rd driest summer(June, July, August) on record for Peoria. Only good thing about this year was the cool summer. If it wasn't for that, it would have been a really bad summer. Wettest spring on record, followed by dry summer makes a bad lawn care season. I hope the fall will be more normal. Working like mad to get grass cut this spring, and now not working. The ups and downs of lawn care. I think it is going to take a hurricane to get the grass to come back now. It is toast. I hope we get rain before the winter. At least there is still leaf season. A little weather history for you guys. 5 years ago today Sept. 4, 2008 was the start of about 2 weeks worth of rain for us in Peoria. We had hurricane Gustaf followed by i believe Ike come up from the south and give us tons of rain. I remember because my son was born and was in the NICU for the whole time and I remember just sitting there and watching it rain outside. I think we had like 10 inches during that time period.
Birth of your child can create memories like that for sure
Now, bring on the hurricane remnants.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
What all do you cover in your full grounds maintenance contract as far as services go?
Garbage pickup, landscape weed control, turf weed control, mulch, spraying of cracks in parking lots, parking lot cleanup once a month (small lots, not full blown sweeping), shrub pruning, etc.....

Basically anything you can think of wrapped up in a monthly charge.

Of course, with that you can discount some of those services if you are there once a week to mow, then spray weeds per-say. Or quickly trim shrubs.

Where it pays off is years like the last two for us. We've skipped tons of times, so the weekly visits are quick fast and easy.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post
I remember that well. What stuck out in my mind the most was the fact that the grass, coming out of dormancy, didn't cut worth a damn. Seemed too flaccid to get it lift and cut properly. Was double and triple cutting and it still seemed ragged.

Took a couple of weeks for it to cut "normal" again.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Birth of your child can create memories like that for sure
Now, bring on the hurricane remnants.

Last year, after a terrible drought where we started skipping mows in early June, hurricane Isaac remnants came through about Sept. 5th & resurrected my lawn season. Six inches in two or three days. The season finished off great after that. I've been looking at tropical moisture possibilities this year and so far they are scant. The weather channel actually acts depressed that there are no promising looking hurricanes. Either way, I'm hoping to cut all of mine once or twice this month if we don't get rain, and then begin leaf cleanups in early Oct, as leaves will surely be coming down like crazy by then if we continue with this drought. But who knows, maybe some rain is in store before then.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Garbage pickup, landscape weed control, turf weed control, mulch, spraying of cracks in parking lots, parking lot cleanup once a month (small lots, not full blown sweeping), shrub pruning, etc.....

Basically anything you can think of wrapped up in a monthly charge.

Of course, with that you can discount some of those services if you are there once a week to mow, then spray weeds per-say. Or quickly trim shrubs.

Where it pays off is years like the last two for us. We've skipped tons of times, so the weekly visits are quick fast and easy.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Do you only accept full maintenance accounts? If so how do you go about telling them that? Do you just tell them that hey I can cut your yard for $50 and also add in bed cleanup for an additional $15 a week etc etc. If they say I just want you to mow do you tell them that you only do full maintenance if so how do you go about telling them so without coming off as being rude or such.