Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Do you only accept full maintenance accounts? If so how do you go about telling them that? Do you just tell them that hey I can cut your yard for $50 and also add in bed cleanup for an additional $15 a week etc etc. If they say I just want you to mow do you tell them that you only do full maintenance if so how do you go about telling them so without coming off as being rude or such.
We have a few mow and go accounts, so we're not above doing that type of service. Those accounts are to help keep the route full so to speak.

Some accounts also, because of lack of trees or much landscape, we'll still have them on a weekly charge for full maintenance, but if we skip services for the week then they aren't charged.

We just give our customers options. Most of the full grounds contracts are for commercial accounts. That's what they generally want anyway for budgeting purposes.

As for the residential clients, some like it for budgeting purposes. So that's the selling point to those clients. If they can keep a set monthly charge for the season, then they don't have to account for some services hitting them in the wallet at once through the season.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We did better than average on rain until about six weeks ago and it just QUIT! If you're gonna mow most anything around here that isn't irrigated, you better wear a respirator and goggles or your eyes and sinuses will packed with dust.

There is always a little bit of good in anything, however. My wife can simply look for the dust cloud and find me without trouble.
Larry
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

My lawns are toast only irrigated are hangin in there. Minnesota here.
2011 24' united enclosed trailer
2011 griffin dump trailer
2005 61'' ferris
2009 61'' ferris 3100
2010 36'' ferris hydro cut
2010 48'' ferris walk
2-2013 61'' snapper pro walk
Echo blowers and whips
Turfco aerator with sulky

Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

rain in south texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Here in Illinois we have had maybe two inches of rain since late June. Fortunately we had a wet spring and cool temps up till this week of high 90s. I know most of you have benefited from above average rainfall amounts this summer. Just wondering if anyone else can sympathize with me. I've been mowing most of my lawns every 2 wks since mid July and now some of them are so burnt up I'll be doing good to mow that much. It's just frustrating because this is the 3rd straight summer that it has been dry and it isn't like we haven't had our rain chances. Rain seems to go around us every summer and hits neighboring towns. I'm glad I have so many lawns for a solo operator and I've been trimming more and more shrubs every year, otherwise I couldn't make it at this. I do this to support a family of four and these dry conditions can get me down if I let them. Hopefully September will resurrect my lawn season like hurricane Isaac did last year. Just had to vent, thanks!
Thank God we're finally getting some rain, most of the summer my customers have been once a month !!!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

toast here, remember 2 or 3 quick shots of moisture over last 7 plus wks. now with sept staying more of the same, not go out this way not itlooking good. usually sept rolls around and could count on mouisture along with cooler temps to get thinks rolling again but not this time. ground is like a rock
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

almost got an inch last night. not sure how much we'll need to bring everything back, but at least the intense heat wont be here to suck it all up for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
almost got an inch last night. not sure how much we'll need to bring everything back, but at least the intense heat wont be here to suck it all up for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes we got 1'' 9 tenths we still brown but this will help weeds grow We are long ways away for grass all turn green

But this what I needed on the new lawn projects to firm up the dirt so I can start installing lawns
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

good to see, got some here, came down hard as a front rolled through. now expecting big temp drop, yesterday think we got new temp record high from yesterday, near 95, dew point was way up but will take the rain. unrelated but just heard on tv, something bout boulder, co., must be getting a bunch of rain, creeks sound like they are over their banks big time. btw-was gonna add, in some storms nearby yesterday, lot of lightning, heard a few people got hit by it.

Last edited by bare spot; 09-12-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only pulled in about 3 tenths in our area last night.

Then today, dry air, blazing sun, and 20mph winds. Sucked any of the moisture that fell last night right out of the ground.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charlotte is hot and dry. I skipped all my lawns this week due to the lack of growth. We desperately need rain!