Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you keep this customer

Would you keep this customer, I had a agreement to cut the backyard biweekly, since it is mostly in the shade, and does not grow much. And to cut the front every week. I charge $50 for both back and front and 30 just for the front since it is very large.
They have had me skip just the backyard since August 15th . Have been cutting the front every week. It is very long at this point. It has not been cut by the customer at all. They keep on making excuses on why they don't want the backyard cut. They have dogs that they let out there .I am not sure why they would just skip it. They seem to be pretty well finically. Would you even bother with these people next year or just do what they want?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I would charge extra for overgrown grass that is too high.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you keep this customer

Just do what they ask and charge accordingly.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

finish out this year and then next year they are gone. Part on the best terms possible so that a bad word of mouth doesn't follow you. A skip occasionally is no big deal but you do make your living based off of your workload.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

See ya later... 200/month vs 120/month is actually a big deal. Id let em go easy, but if you still want to keep them tell them next year that they can only skip mowing on either part of the lawn once, basically telling them they cant string multiple skips together in a row

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
Would you keep this customer, I had a agreement to cut the backyard biweekly, since it is mostly in the shade, and does not grow much. And to cut the front every week. I charge $50 for both back and front and 30 just for the front since it is very large.
They have had me skip just the backyard since August 15th . Have been cutting the front every week. It is very long at this point. It has not been cut by the customer at all. They keep on making excuses on why they don't want the backyard cut. They have dogs that they let out there .I am not sure why they would just skip it. They seem to be pretty well finically. Would you even bother with these people next year or just do what they want?
it usually all boils down to money. You say they appear to be doing well financially -- but you do not know for sure, of course. Sometimes things have a way of being real pretty on the outside, but not so pretty on the inside. To me, a red flag goes up about someone's financial situation when they start pulling stunts like this. Whether or not you drop them depends on how badly you need the business. But there are other considerations too: do they pay well? do they complain? Are they in a good location? Are they an otherwise decent account? Personally, if what you described does not become habit I would just grin and bear it once....but I'd let them know that in the future there'd be an extra "tall grass fee" if it gets like that again.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are trying to find a cheap way of doing the bare minimum. PITA PUNT TIME!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I understand your irritation, but you are at least still servicing a portion of the property regularly. If the mowing of the front is profitable, and you want to keep the customer, just politely explain that the agreement was to mow the back every other week, and that you have no problem with stretching that interval, but if the growth is more than a reasonable amount, you will have to charge extra to get it looking good again.

This puts the ball in their court. If they want to skip the back, fine, but they will understand it is going to cost them more when they do decide to have you mow.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Just do what they ask and charge accordingly.
Exactly

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
See ya later... 200/month vs 120/month is actually a big deal. Id let em go easy, but if you still want to keep them tell them next year that they can only skip mowing on either part of the lawn once, basically telling them they cant string multiple skips together in a row
Actually, I believe it $160 a month vs $120 per month. Not as big a deal.