Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn care business

hi new to this forum so please excuse me if this has been posted in the wrong section.

my lifes experience has been in the landscaping industry from domestic gardens to commercial scapes. I now have arthritis and am limited to the physical aspect of heavy lifting etc.

i now want to try a new venture and start my own lawn care business, getting the custom will not be a problem as I have many contacts in the gardening industry and ex clients etc.

im just after some advise please. my question is this. over in the u.k which is where I am based the lawn care industry offers a standard quarterly fertilisation program for all clients. I am wondering how this would keep you busy all year round? do you stagger your visits? im abit confused surly you cant be workin just 4months of the year. might sound daft but I have know knowledge of how to structure a lawn care customer base.. someone please shed some light on this for me. many thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone? bump
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a lot of good information here. Keep reading and searching. Pesticide forum probably has the most activity for chemicals and fertilizers both here.

I think many people are putting down smaller amounts of fertilizer more often - both to keep busy and as a favor to the grass. Some come back and spray insecticides for grubs as an optional summer step. Some do Fall cleanups or snow removal to extend the season.

Welcome aboard.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

ok thanks for your reply pal, yeh that sounds more like it monthly visits or something. come winter, gritting etc. although here in the sunny uk haha we harldy see the white stuff. just one rainy day to the next. grass grows like mad though. im hoping to be ready to jump on the scene start of next season. thanks for your advice will keep reading

anyone else feel free to give me some hints and tips, all will be appreciated