Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Do you use guards on your trimmers?
Yes, I do 65 47.79%
No, I do not 71 52.21%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no guard on straight trimmer, but I do still have a curved head with its guard on, that's the one my wife insists my son use when he is out with me.
Gravely ST622
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
and other stuff I forget now!

currently shopping:
ExMark Metro 48
ExMark Commercial 30
Ford F250
Ariens edger.

the bottom list should maybe get shorter, while the top gets longer, but I know there will always be more stuff!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Why are they better off versus on?
I actually like trimming with them on when trimming around ornamentals and other delicate things, but other wise I don't use the guards. I guess it would be nice to not wear quite as many trimmings, but I have to do laundry anyways, right?
Gravely ST622
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
and other stuff I forget now!

currently shopping:
ExMark Metro 48
ExMark Commercial 30
Ford F250
Ariens edger.

the bottom list should maybe get shorter, while the top gets longer, but I know there will always be more stuff!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
?What? Lmao you line the arrow up with the hole, push string through, pull to half way, then hold the top part with the arrow and rotate the bottom so the string winds in. No need to take it appart to rewind string. Also bump head works when you smack the ground with the and the trimmer spinning. The guard is not involved in the process.
Then why is there a cutter on the guard?

I assumed that without the guard there was some "trick" to cutting the line, but since I've never met anyone who does this, I've never had the opportunity to ask.

As for the Speed Feed, the whole thing was a pain. The nut wasn't the right one for my Stihl and the color of nut they indicate in the instructions didn't work. I saw someone here mention that the "green" nut was for Stihl, so I tried it - it worked. BUT then I couldn't figure out which way the parts went back together, got mad, and threw the whole thing behind the seat in my truck.

SO... rather than trying to drag this info out of you guys since nobody seems to really have a firm grasp on how you "explain" things to people, can I assume that by using a Speed Feed you just bump enough to get a little line to come out and if it's too much, you simply twist it back in to where you want the length to be?

Sound about right?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Why are they better off versus on?
A few reasons for one edging is so much easier without it and it makes the trimmer so much lighter and more balanced.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Then why is there a cutter on the guard?

I assumed that without the guard there was some "trick" to cutting the line, but since I've never met anyone who does this, I've never had the opportunity to ask.

As for the Speed Feed, the whole thing was a pain. The nut wasn't the right one for my Stihl and the color of nut they indicate in the instructions didn't work. I saw someone here mention that the "green" nut was for Stihl, so I tried it - it worked. BUT then I couldn't figure out which way the parts went back together, got mad, and threw the whole thing behind the seat in my truck.

SO... rather than trying to drag this info out of you guys since nobody seems to really have a firm grasp on how you "explain" things to people, can I assume that by using a Speed Feed you just bump enough to get a little line to come out and if it's too much, you simply twist it back in to where you want the length to be?

Sound about right?
Correct. Withought the speed feed you would have to cut it with a knife and that would be a pain. With the speed feed head you rarly bump it by accident and if you are doing light trimming you can let it go out to 30inches and if you come up to long stuff you can click it back to 15 inches. Shoot my help this summer wore out the head by dragging it on the ground and didn't have an issue with line getting to long.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I just use the bump head without the guard because you can let 3x the string out and that is a lot more efficient when going along a house or fence that the mower can't get close enough to. It cuts mowing time and weedeating time.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer gaurds, we don't need no stinking trimmer gaurds.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the line is too long, simply run it at a higher rpm with the ends skimming on concrete to wear them down some. It takes just a few seconds.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a riot really.... You learn something new everyday! I am sitting here busting a gut on myself for being so, so stupid! Yes, I have been using the speed feed for years since Shindaiwa came out with it because I only run Shindy and so didn't my former Boss. And, Yes, we always and I still do take the guard right off. For me, it's really just about it being too cumbersome and with the guard off, you are allowed full rotational movement with the head.(edging, diagonal work, etc) You can also see what you are doing better as well. And of course, you can choose how long you want your line with no pesky razor blade to cut it off. Now, here is the funny part... Whenever I would get too much line out, I would either go full throttle against a rock or curb or something that would shave it right down... Or, take my leatherman and snip it down.... Never, have I thought to just click click it back in!!!! I have no idea how I never put 2 and 2 together but I have walked 200 yards to the trailer to get something to cut the line because I forgot my leatherman and there was not a rocky edge in site... I have also sat at a rocky edge for a minute throttling away but the line was too strong.... This whole time, all I had to do was click click and I would be back in business! I can't wait until the next time my line is too long!

P.S....... I have heard through the grapevine that if you run your line too long, it can wear more on the engine.... Anyone know more about this?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
This is a riot really.... You learn something new everyday! I am sitting here busting a gut on myself for being so, so stupid! Yes, I have been using the speed feed for years since Shindaiwa came out with it because I only run Shindy and so didn't my former Boss. And, Yes, we always and I still do take the guard right off. For me, it's really just about it being too cumbersome and with the guard off, you are allowed full rotational movement with the head.(edging, diagonal work, etc) You can also see what you are doing better as well. And of course, you can choose how long you want your line with no pesky razor blade to cut it off. Now, here is the funny part... Whenever I would get too much line out, I would either go full throttle against a rock or curb or something that would shave it right down... Or, take my leatherman and snip it down.... Never, have I thought to just click click it back in!!!! I have no idea how I never put 2 and 2 together but I have walked 200 yards to the trailer to get something to cut the line because I forgot my leatherman and there was not a rocky edge in site... I have also sat at a rocky edge for a minute throttling away but the line was too strong.... This whole time, all I had to do was click click and I would be back in business! I can't wait until the next time my line is too long!

P.S....... I have heard through the grapevine that if you run your line too long, it can wear more on the engine.... Anyone know more about this?
Your welcome lol my dealer days I'm going to wear my gearbox out. 3 years and haven't had an issue. I replaced the clutch after 2. Sooo ya I call false.