Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Big Generacs throwing Rods ?

I heard some of the big 990 Generacs are known to have rod problems, any help on this ? would be great.

I may be leaning for a BB Briggs because of this but I know a Generac is a bolt up and go on my mower so for that reason the Gennie makes more sense.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They don't call them JUNKERACS....fer nuthin.....
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Realslowww,

As you can see, opinions will vary...

Out of the roughly 25 units with A Generac engine on them I have sold and 20 or so of them are heavy use commercial cutters, while the last 5 or so are homeowners, I can say there have been VERY FEW problems unless they are not being maintained!

I personally have yet to see a Generac that has thrown a rod that has been maintained! I have seen ones that were run low on oil and have grenaded, but that will happen to any brand!

We have had a lot of repeat sales on units because the customer wanted another Generac! I have several commercial cutters with 2000 hours plus and have done nothing but normal service to them!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Jeff is right....
I just don't like Generac engines....when they throw a rod...the engine scatters...nothing to rebuild...
The weak link is the plastic rod ends on the carb to governor link rod....it falls off...engine goes wide open.......boom...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
I personally have yet to see a Generac that has thrown a rod that has been maintained! I have seen ones that were run low on oil and have grenaded, but that will happen to any brand!

I gotta agree with Jeff, Been a dealer since 2003 and can't put a number on how any machines we've sold. Only seen two come in grenaded...... Both ran low on oil......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How does a BB Briggs compare, I know physically they are bigger. I had a dealer tell me they liked the Kaws better than the genie and claimed they had seen a few blow. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Slapper,

I agree, Generac could do a better job on the plastic socket and metal ball stud set up on the governor rod and the idle rod and the clamps on the oil cooler lines... Kawasaki could also do a better job on ignition coils and Kohler could do a better job on head gaskets and breather cover gaskets, and... so on.

Moons ago I made it a habit to check the balls and sockets for wear with ANY unit in for service with a Generac engine, even if the unit is in for just a blade sharpening!

I am amazed that the plastic socket wears as much as the steel ball stud! Whick is why I stock both the plastic sockets and the ball studs.

Realslowww,

I really don't know much about the Briggs & Stratton Big Block engines. I have seen a couple, but it is not a major engine seen in my area.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
Slapper,

I agree, Generac could do a better job on the plastic socket and metal ball stud set up on the governor rod and the idle rod and the clamps on the oil cooler lines... Kawasaki could also do a better job on ignition coils and Kohler could do a better job on head gaskets and breather cover gaskets, and... so on.

Moons ago I made it a habit to check the balls and sockets for wear with ANY unit in for service with a Generac engine, even if the unit is in for just a blade sharpening!

I am amazed that the plastic socket wears as much as the steel ball stud! Whick is why I stock both the plastic sockets and the ball studs.

Realslowww,

I really don't know much about the Briggs & Stratton Big Block engines. I have seen a couple, but it is not a major engine seen in my area.
I take it you like the 33 Generac besides this issue? I hear they have good power?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Realslowww,

First off, I will not sell anything to a customer that I do not believe in, period! It does me no good to sell a customer a $10,000 mower if I don't believe in it!

The mowers I have sold through the years had either a 26hp OHVI Generac or the 33hp OHVI Generac engine.
The 26hp was typically on a 52" deck and the 33hp was on either the 61" or the 72" models. Several years back Generac discontinued the 26hp engine. On the units that had the 26hp that had worn the engines out and was worth re-powering, I went back with the 33hp engine. So there are a few 52" decks around here with a 33hp!

Most have the 33hp on a 61" deck, but there are 5 or 6 that are on a 72" deck. As I said previously, there are several customers that have repurchased the same mower and specifically wanted it with the Generac engine. Most if not all have been LCO's or commercial users for quite some time and used different brands but come back for another.

Do I like the Generac engines? To me, it is an engine... The customers on the other hand, love them! One of the main reasons they like the 33hp is for the power and the durability. However in todays market there are more powerful engines out there than 33hp. I guess it is just sticking to what they like now.

Aside from the "issues" I stated above, there is or have been very few problems overall with Generac from the many I have sold! As with ANY engine, there is the possibility for problems, but most can be avoided with common sense and maintenence!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, I hear the 33 Genny is as stout in power as the 36 Briggs or 35 Kaw? I just wanted to clarify because I have heard a few issues with rods that's all.
Closed Thread